f@#ked up the tail on my new shape

Just shaped a new board and i think i have stuffed up the tail edge,i have glassed and hot coated it thinking that i could get the edge by damming the tail with tape,but i have finished sanding it with 80grit and it seems to still be quite a soft edge.

Would it be a good idea to tape it all off again give the area another hot coat so i have more resin to sand to a sqaure edge or should i just ride it and see what happens??? 

[quote="$1"]

Just shaped a new board and i think i have stuffed up the tail edge,i have glassed and hot coated it thinking that i could get the edge by damming the tail with tape,but i have finished sanding it with 80grit and it seems to still be quite a soft edge.

Would it be a good idea to tape it all off again give the area another hot coat so i have more resin to sand to a sqaure edge or should i just ride it and see what happens?????? 

[/quote]

are you funnin' us?

this is starting to sound like the old joke, "I cut it twice and its still too short!"

without pics, we'll never know for sure

but what harm could there be in riding it first?

no big deal to scuff it up and add a piece of tape and a bead of resin later

the edge i had on the bare foam originally was not square enough but i didnt want to take anymore off the tail edges,when i say tail edges im refering to the last 12 inches of the board where the edge should be nice and hard. I thought this would be fine once it was glassed and hot coated,obviously it wasn’t, so no im not “funnin you guys” 

It is my second board.

Scuff it up, re-tape your resin dam and run another bead of resin. It’s not a big deal, it takes a bit of practice to get your resin bead perfect in one go during the hotcoat. Bud posted a great video on here a little while back that showed how to do it properly (http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/taping  – see about halfway down the page for the video).

Cheers
Paul

Some shapers start out with a somewhat softened rail so that it’s easier to glass, then have the glasser add the edge after laminating.    I sometimes reinforce my edges with roving - take a few strands, wet them out and lay them in my resin dam.   I can get a strong and crisp edge with that.  

cheers guys i feel a bit better knowing i can get away with adding another bit of resin,i was froothin on this board but i just dont see it going how i want it to without that hard edge.

I second gdaddys method. You can get that edge so sharp it will cut you.  Not recommending that, of course.  Mike

[quote="$1"]

cheers guys i feel a bit better knowing i can get away with adding another bit of resin,i was froothin on this board but i just dont see it going how i want it to without that hard edge.

[/quote]

group hug.... at what point did you grasp that you did not f up?

when these guys said i could scuff it up and do another resin bead,i wasn’t sure before hand if that would be ok because i didn’t know if the resin would maybe separate down the trach like you see on some peoples repair jobs occasionaly. i was probably just stressin a bit cause im pretty proud of this board so far. il post a pic in a bit of how its lokin so far.

this is the board,only sanded to 80grit so far,no plugs yet as the weather has been really wet and cold so im waiting til it clears

lol sorry about the poor spelling above,was watching a news clip about my old neighbour who was found beheaded last week,they are having a man hunt for the suspect who tried to flee to Darwin.

heard that on the radio today, was he from Broadwater ? Used to live in Ymaba so that caught my attention…heavy shit…

Yeah it was in broadwater,i lived across the street from him til about a year ago,i live at evans now,yamba’s nice!