Fiberglass versus Epoxy performance

Thirty-two years ago somebody said to me, “Certainly this has already been done/researched,” about my first mansucript and written theory.  A respected science journal told me they would publish it if I included the word “hypothesis” in the title.  And I did.

As a result, I came up with the stoneburner corollary and have lived by it ever since, “Somebody has to be first.”

That sounds interesting.  You have me curious now…

My reply wasn’t aimed at you. I was just using your comment as a jumping off point. As previously stated, I am often appalled when I hear salespeople refer to “epoxy vs fiberglass”. It’s a case of the blind leading the blind.

I got your intent charlie, like you said, the phrasing of the question made your point.  Love the pics you’ve been putting up on this thread!  Thinking back to my ignorance before swaylocks I get motivated to share / teach anyone interested the bare rudiments of surfboard design and construction that I have learned here.  I’ve seen it over and over, the perpetrators of ignorance must build a wall of social unacceptability around swaylocks to keep the curious out.  Even some who were once regulars here, but have now “made it” in the mainstream corporate food chain, have been known to cast aspersions this direction.  

To quote urbandictionarydotcom, mushroom management…

1. Keep them in the dark. 

2. Feed them full of shit. 

SB,

Curiosity killed the, I mean, cured polio.

“There is no such thing as a “fiberglass board”.”

HAHA… 'fraid it’s true:

Charlie!  You have me excited again!  Thanks!  But, it’’ be awhile…I have TOO many projects!  Ha!

How light do yo want to go ?

Looks kind of like Bill Foote paddleboard tech…

Or maybe early Gary Young…

This is the pattern I was going to use for LSB and MB deck cores.  It mimics the pattern of cells and cell walls in plants/trees.

I believe cell length to width ratio and wall thickness are critical.

Balsa ‘hardwood’ classification…  Balsa, being a deciduous tree, is correctly classified as a hardwood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochroma_pyramidale

Yes. The way I learned it was that if it has leaves it’s technically a hardwood. Needles and cones? Softwood

Nice Kayu. I am trying to aim high in craftsmanship but that seems out of reach from where I am standing.

trying to stay away from the deck with surfboards.

…and also quite similar to what Tom Blake did , when he drilled vertical holes in a solid wooden paddleboard to reduce the weight…that caused quite a stir back in the day.

…and on a larger scale , it mimics the natural construction of bamboo (curved transverse spreaders between the longitudinals) …varying the length to width ratio will alter the overall flexibility of the frame…it’s a variation on the hollow balsa Joe Quigg boards from the 50’s.

Midpoint stabilized, torsion box cells.

Stoneburner does not surf…Stoneburnerer does not build surfboards…Keep in mind who is talking and who is walking…or surfing…I’m calling BS

Thank you for all of the comments. 

I got ended up getting a board with a triple stringer with a volan knee pad