fin box before hot coat

So I got overly excited and installed the fin box AND leash plug on my friends egg before the hotcoat.

It seems like I will have some tedious sanding ahead of me. Has anybody else done something like this and can share their experience?

Any other input appreciated.

DOH!

Mabey you could fill the finbox and leash plug with rail cuts then cover it with wax and then hotcoat the board and sand it and carrry out business as usual and then pull the wax and foam out after you gloss the board.

Mabey

dude!

I always put the boxes in before I hot coat.

just do some masking. carefull and close to the all the edges then hot coat as usual. then while the resin is in a jelly like stage use a razor or xsacto knife and carfully cut the resin along the tape line and use the point of the knife to lift up a corner of the tape and just peel it out. it leaves the opening of the boxes just under the level of the resin, edges compleatley covered and box more solidley sealed in.

works for me.

[;)]

cheers,

M

Quote:

I always put the boxes in before I hot coat.

just do some masking. carefull and close to the all the edges then hot coat as usual. then while the resin is in a jelly like stage use a razor or xsacto knife and carfully cut the resin along the tape line and use the point of the knife to lift up a corner of the tape and just peel it out. it leaves the opening of the boxes just under the level of the resin, edges compleatley covered and box more solidley sealed in.

works for me.

Hmmm… are you dropping your fin boxes all the way flush with foam? I’m not sure what boxes you’re using, but most I’ve seen have a 1/4" (or so) lip that needs to be grinded down anyway.

Either way, shouldn’t be a problem. Worst comes to worst, yea, it’s a little lower than your hotcoat. Most likely, you’ll have to grind anyway, so you won’t even notice in the end.

The leash plug, depends on how low you sink them. I usually grind of 1/8" or so on those as well.

I usualy put in a 2+1 using an 8" “o’fishal” bahn box and futures for sides.(if a triple I use all futures). after the laming I rout the cavities so that the boxes are just about level with the existing bottom. (flanges of the futures should be just below the glass but not by much, the “ledge” of the bhan box should be level with the top of the glass) after they harden I grind them to almost (1/32?) level. then mask and hot coat and peel the tape out like stated before. after sanding they are just below the hot coat (1/32?? or so).

negligable depth. the finns have alweys set just fine.

no prob bro!. and it looks realy slick too.

[sly]

cheers,

M

p.s.

i use the “o’fishal” glue on leash attachment with 5min 2part epoxie.

sand the area with 36grit nice and rough then sand the back of the attachment with 36 grit then glue. 36 grit sanding ensures the best mechanical adhesion and using the glue on saves the integrity of the stringer.

and I have never…never had one of these come off when installed proper.

[wink]