fin placement question for midlength

Hey Matty its really not the same toe-in, the lines converge in the same place (3" in front), which ironically works out, when measuring off the stringer, to 1/4" toe on the fronts and 3/16" on the backs  :-)

I Know this board is on the lines ofa stoker V so no need to ad anything to how the bottom should be. I would love to get my mits on a stoker but non are over here and I am right now board rich and money poor.  

On the other hand keep that template It’s screaming make a Bonzer! Maybe what is really screaming is the voice in my head.  

Think about this a Bonzer fin set runner fins could be like what Ace has done with a large and small runner fin.  IMHO the wider tail would work well with that set up May just behind the fins give the tail rocker a bit more lift. 

Ha! Should’a pushed the clutch in before puttin’ my mouth in gear!

Funny we are both twin fin trash, for sh*ts and giggles I’ll run strings out there (somewhere) just did for the Griffin stick (3 in a row). Seems now a days the McKee (sacrilege to some) method but a lot of sweat and tears went into it, we get some parameters.

Side note here, recently got a new “shapers square” the part that “use to have” the fin set up measurements had been blanked out with paper. No real loss for me but I had to stop and think, is something amiss?

that’s right. On mine the rears are tow’d in less…I think you’re right! A in-house pro, and my glasser confirmed it.maybe he’s try n another method?

Using ProBox?

Contact Larry 310-530-1383…Order some fins, some boxes and a Hi Surf 10" channel. Larry will give you good fin placement.

I just finished a 7’ egg… I did a square fin placement 6" and 12"…hope it works…Ray

I have my probox fins and boxes, courtesy of Fiberglass Supply, very happy with their service.  I thank you for Larry’s phone #, I tried to find his pm, and couldn’t locate it.  

I also have to put a plug in for Fiberglass Hawaii in Ventura, who I got the blank and glass from, esp Steve Huerta, one of the most personable and most knowledgeable sales people I have ever met in the surfboard supply business.

And while I’m at it, I should also mention Florian at Shaper Supply in L.A., where I bought my Resin Research epoxy, a young guy with a new business, hope he does well, that area needs a shaping supply store!

Hope you post up some pics of the egg, heck, put 'em on my thread if you want, or dig up that timeless egg thread, I’d be stoked to see what you have, your work is always top shelf.

Matty, here’s a quick and dirty way of “running the strings” without actually running any strings, so to speak.  I have a vertical line drawn on the shop wall.  I set my board on the stands, with the stringer visually lined up with my wall line.  The nose of the board is 3" from the wall, or whatever dimension you have chosen.  I set a straight edge on the board, with one end on the wall line, and the other end on the reference point near the rail.  I prop up the nose end with some foam scraps, and I can draw my reference line easily, with a pencil.  Easy peazy.

BTW, thanks for pointing that out about the shaper’s square, I peeled the white block off, and discovered a useful chart for quad/thruster combo layout.  I left the white block on the back, it makes it really easy to read.  Ironically, the numbers the chart gives are remarkably close to what I arrived at by my own research, with one exception.  

The chart calls for the front fins to be at 13 3/8" up from the tail on an 8 footer, I ended up at 13", only 3/8" difference.  The chart calls for the back quad fins to be at 6 7/16", I ended up with 6 1/2", only 1/16" difference.  The chart calls for the single (back) thruster fin to be at 3 13/16", I ended up with 4", only 3/16" difference.  

The only dimension that varies in any significant way is the distance between the two back quad fins - the chart calls it out at 7 13/16" (nearly 8"), and I ended up more like 9 1/2" on mine.  So the chart is set up more like the McKee system, with the rear fins kinda centered between rail and stringer, and I went with what I’m calling a California quad system, where the rears are closer to the rails.  Even at that, I would only have to move my rears in about 3/4" each, to get to the chart numbers.  And that’s assuming they’re measuring width at the widest point.  If they’re measuring at the narrowest point, then I’m even closer to the chart numbers.

Weird how close I came to the chart, without even knowing it was there!

BTW, the chart does not address toe-in or cant angles.

If it helps,
I was having a hard time getting good measurements off the nose to calculate toe in. I made an excel spreadsheet in case it helps.
http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/calculating-toe-measurements
It is on the first post, you can’t upload an excel file so I uploaded it with a .doc extension. Download it and change the extension to .xlsx and it will work.
If anyone has any problems feel free to pm me.

You can input fin base size for whatever system you use. It outputs toe in in 1/16" increments.
I would rather have used Huck’s method but it was late at night and didn’t have any good long pieces of wood.(couldnt figure a better way to say this)

Otherwise that is a really nice looking board and looking forward to seeing what quad placement works for you. All my boards are quads, and it takes normally several sessions to converge on the right fin choice . Really glad smarter dudes than me are figuring out box placement.

Cheers,
Jason

Typical fin placement dimension diagram

http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/images/PDFS/Fin_setups_quad_thruster_2plus1.pdf

~Brian

Brian - that diagram has been a lifesaver for me more times than I can count, and I know its helped a lot of other people too, can’t thank you guys enough for posting that!  When I get a few bucks to burn I’m gonna buy something from Greenlight!

Artz - thanks for directing me to Blair Surfboards, I have really been studying this page http://jblairsurf.com/surfboards/big-guy-surfboards its been a real eye-opener for me.   I just never see these boards in a surfshop, or at my regular spots.  Given me plenty of ideas for next several boards!  BTW, if you want me to send you the template, pm me your address, happy to share it.

Sick! VERY nice stuff (thick too).

Hey Huck, does your fin lay out look like tic tac toe yet? Ha…

Just got back in town this afternoon, and got right to it, after a whole week to think it over.  Got a lot of input from some very knowledgeable people.  All of it just a little different.  

In the end, I went with the back of the fin on the rear quads placed at 7" up from the tail, 1 7/8" in from the rail.  The back of fin for the front quads placed at 14" up from the tail, 1" in from the rail.  Both fronts and backs follow a line that converges at a point in front of the nose, which works out real close to 1/4" toe-in fronts, 3/16" backs.

I haven’t added a center fin yet, still undecided between a thruster center plug or a single fin box.  Maybe think it over, and decide later.  Try it as a quad first.

Huck,

I’m getting to this a bit late, mid boards are my thing. I ride from 7’6 to 8’6. So here’s what I have learned so far about these beasts

1) I set the board up as a trifin first. with fins off of rail from 1/ 1/4 to 1/1/8

1. set the trailer quad fins at the same distance off the rail.  This alone will tell you where to place the fins.

2. when setting up the trailer quad fins, the do not point at the nose, you set them so they run parallel to the front fins.  You want the fins working in combination with each other, not necessaraly at different toe ins etc.

Below is a pic with some quads all over 8ft and some trifins all over 8ft too, so you can see the difference…no much

thanks Jay - great looking boards!

Nice boards resinhead.

I think Stoneburner should give shaping and glassing lessons…everyone could learn nothing…and then go surfing in the afternoon…

So Huck…nice board…drive it down to SD and I will install a big fat 10 inch box right where it belongs !!!  Ha Ha…right up the middle of that tail…ha ha…

go surfing have fun!

Ray

Ray, I have a nice fin box just for that purpose.  But I’m holding off until I try it as a quad, trying to break my addiction to the single fin, even 'tho I’m a little behind the curve on that one LOL.

My shadow has returned.  What? No new members to haze?

Prove what you say about me Ray.  Documentation?  But then you would be off topic again.

Open a few six packs and chill with your bruddas in the garage.  Pat yourselves on the backs.

I guess I will never become a member of the Sways mutual adoration club – the lipstick is such a lovely shade of brown.  I am devastated.

Pigs is Pigs

Sorry Huck, you will receive no further divergence in this thread from me.  Your board is looking good.