fine tuning and the meaning of xmas

How much fine tuning do you think you can do after a boards been finished glassed. I recently picked up my new board from the glassers just in time for this latest swell. It’s like having your birthday and xmas. together. I was peeved by the fact it I left my forward rails a little harder then usual. Had a bit of a corner where the bottom of the board met the rail. The board rode over all great except for this slight skatey feeling like it wasn’t getting in the water sometimes kinda planing almost. I was ready to sell it and make another. I wanted a magic board and this was just a Siegfried board no Roy or White tigers. I don’t think it’s the volume because it’s thinner both in width and thickness then my last board which never had this problem. So I basically lightly resanded the rails and tried it again. It seemed to ride better. Then I read in the new surfing magazine (transworld light) John Carper takes sandpaper in the water with him and tunes his rails while he’s out there. Went home and really layed into them I beveled the edge completely so it rolls smooth under the rail now. I took it down from 12" below the nose all the way to the 16" mark above the tail basically the whole middle section is a nice tucked rail . I rode it today and the board went so good that skatey sensation is gone. Is it a matter of me actually tuning the board changing the way it rides or did I just get used to my new board. Today was my third session. Tuned it twice.

How much fine tuning do you think you can do after a boards been finished > glassed. I recently picked up my new board from the glassers just in time > for this latest swell. It’s like having your birthday and xmas. together. > I was peeved by the fact it I left my forward rails a little harder then > usual. Had a bit of a corner where the bottom of the board met the rail. > The board rode over all great except for this slight skatey feeling like > it wasn’t getting in the water sometimes kinda planing almost. I was ready > to sell it and make another. I wanted a magic board and this was just a > Siegfried board no Roy or White tigers. I don’t think it’s the volume > because it’s thinner both in width and thickness then my last board which > never had this problem. So I basically lightly resanded the rails and > tried it again. It seemed to ride better. Then I read in the new surfing > magazine (transworld light) John Carper takes sandpaper in the water with > him and tunes his rails while he’s out there. Went home and really layed > into them I beveled the edge completely so it rolls smooth under the rail > now. I took it down from 12" below the nose all the way to the > 16" mark above the tail basically the whole middle section is a nice > tucked rail . I rode it today and the board went so good that skatey > sensation is gone. Is it a matter of me actually tuning the board changing > the way it rides or did I just get used to my new board. Today was my > third session. Tuned it twice. Dale Doson is a proponent of re-tuning boards, he will fill in edges, take off edges, do what he feels will make the board more Dale friendly.

Fine tuning stops when the board is dead and gone.Herb.

Fine tuning stops when the board is dead and gone.Herb. Not too long ago after spending 8-9hrs on a three stringer 9’2" shape it didn’t seem to ride like I’m used too. No punch out of bottom turns although cutbacks were pretty good. I took a hacksaw anf cut off 2.5" of roundpin tail and glassed a resin block on making it a squashtail. The board road ‘wwaaayyy’ better, more punch, pumpability, and loose.

Not too long ago after spending 8-9hrs on a three stringer 9’2" shape > it didn’t seem to ride like I’m used too. No punch out of bottom turns > although cutbacks were pretty good. I took a hacksaw anf cut off 2.5" > of roundpin tail and glassed a resin block on making it a squashtail. The > board road ‘wwaaayyy’ better, more punch, pumpability, and loose. How true! Wide or softened, narrow, tiny or squashed and foiled full or tapered thin, they work well with most any fin arrangement, or none at all… squaretails are a great choice for clean, decisive punch.

Fin switching and moving provides a lot of fine tunability without resin and sanding. I’ve always been surprised by the change in boards character with fin changes. But what about “the meaning of Xmas???”