First Build Thread: Longboard Reshape to Two Tailed Egg

Thanks, Huck! And everyone else who’s keeping up with this first build and giving me encouragement and advice! It means a lot!
I’ve been so impressed with this site and what you guys have built in this online community! It’s absolutely incredible!

1 Like

Well, finally got around to doing the rails. Ended up doing a more boxy type rail using the rail band chart from green light surf.
I think they turned out ok! I left a hard edge at both ends at about 18”.

But I took the board outside to take a better look and I bent over to pick something up and the wind blew and knocked it over!
Left some pretty big gouges on one side of the rails.

So now I have an extra step in fixing that gouged foam. I have left over foam from the rest of the board so I’m gonna glue some of that foam in to fill the holes.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Should I just use something like gorilla glue or resin?

Try some moisture plus heat first. Be careful not to overdo the heat, but like a wet towel with an iron over. A lot of times compression type dings will disappear or mostly so, maybe just little spacle to finish up.

Moisture and heat, I’ll give it a try! Do I just place a damp or wet towel over the area and then apply some heat?
Do I actually need to get the area wet? Like rub the wet towel in the damaged area? Or just place it over the top?

I haven’t heard of this method before so I might have some questions.

Thanks, Huck!

Yes, iron over wet towel.

Homework: reading assignment

https://forum.swaylocks.com/search?context=topic&context_id=80524&q=Iron%20on%20ding&skip_context=true

1 Like

Of course in the archives! Thanks.

Oh no, what a shame, it looks like you’d done a really nice job! Huck to the rescue, this community is awesome with the knowledge and happiness to share. I hope you get the worst of it sorted.

I know right! I was so happy and then immediately so sad.
Someone else suggested trying a hair dryer for the heat. I might try that first since I don’t have an iron but I’m thinking Hucks suggestion of iron/wet towel will probably be the solution to get the worst of it and then a little spackle should solve it. At least I’m hoping. I don’t really want to try cutting and gluing in foam to fill it. I’m kind of hesitant of that because I don’t know how good of a job I could do of getting it to fit snugly.

I had to mess around with the rail markings and bands a bit because the deck already rolled down to meet the rails. So when I went to make the rail markings I didn’t really have a lot of thickness to really follow the suggested rail markings. Especially with the tuck, I ended up doing the bottom tuck last so I ended up making the tuck 1/8” on the bottom and sides.
I think I might have overworked the rails when I was screening to blend in the rail bands and probably ended up messing with the outline a little bit and I keep seeing areas that I could probably blend in better but I figure it’s good enough and the more I try and do I’ll end up overworking it.
I think the hardest thing was blending in the rails to the hard edge. I definitely don’t have a smooth transition from the rounder rail section in the middle to the hard edges at the ends. I couldn’t quite figure out how to get that smooth transition.