FISH EYES CAUTION

Hey fellas, I want to share what happened last week.

Im a small operation and I try not to buy the 220Kg resin drums; I prefer to buy several times (I have good price anyway) in a year.

You never know with the resins…

so I was laminating boards and went ok, then hot coated and fihs eyes galore! so fisheyes in the HC ¿?!

well, then I started to put the glass on fins and see fisheyes in the base of the fins

so fisheyes with lam resin…

After checked everything (all types of test: temp, weather, tools, UV cat, MEKP, without mekp, heat the resin, without heat and all in between) I decided that all was ok and went to heat more the room and do gloss coats

wrong idea!

a nightmare of fisheyes in a second ruined all the pinlines, gloss, working time…wasted money too.

I called to the resin importer and He sent me some to make a test.

Went perfect. I put on the board 1 brush stroke besides the other; with both batches; 1 fisheyes everywhere, the other perfect.

You see the viscosity of both resins and seems equal…the color too, not symptoms of old resin (that is one of the fisheyes causes), etc

Sometimes is not the older resin or contaminated surfaces.

In 25 years glassing boards, this is my first time with this problem.

What brand was it?

What brand tape are you using?    A change in the formula of the adhesive can cause the same thing.     Had it happen once.

…resin brand: Reichhold

hey Bill, brand tape? 3M
what you mean with brand tape exactly?

I dont have fisheyes specifically where the tape was…I have most in the deck and bottom and on the lam too

check again the other comment; one of the test (after I called to the resin guy and he sent me other batch)
side by side let one with plenty of feyes and the other without any; non tape involved

[quote="$1"] ...resin brand: Reichhold hey Bill, brand tape? 3M what you mean with brand tape exactly? I dont have fisheyes specifically where the tape was...I have most in the deck and bottom and on the lam too check again the other comment; one of the test (after I called to the resin guy and he sent me other batch) side by side let one with plenty of feyes and the other without any; non tape involved [/quote]

Had fisheye in hotcoat and gloss all over the flats, nose to tail.    Found out the tape mfg had changed the formulation of thier adhesive, and the brush was picking up and spreading the contaminant.      Changed to 3M, problem solved.     Only pointing out that there are other, not so obvious, sources of the problem.

Maybe it could be some left over chemical used to wash the drum or prevent rust on the inside after manufacturing that may not have been washed out good enough or some other contaminate that made its way in before it was filled, sealed, and shipped.

Maybe a new resin pump with plunger lubricant seeping into the resin as you pump it out. No telling.

Possibly try a new pump squirter. Hopefully your whole drum isn’t funky. Good luck with it…

…I see,

yeah, that is what I pointing out too.

can you elaborate more about how the brush was picking the dirt?

thanks

…good point.

the importer will give me back most of the resin except shipping cost

so, not so bad at all