Fish Keels Help

Ok, now I see what you did - you cut the NACA0015 in half to yield a 7.5% thick foil.  Looks decent.  That could actually be run through Xfoil, if someone were so enterprising to embark on such an adventure, to get actual performance data.  I’ll just take your word on it.

I don’t have the means to CNC, but I’d like to try the GOE 265 on a fish someday.

Better is to cut the NACA4415 or (NACA4408 for that matter) since it is closer to the flat sided version.

NACA 4-digit series are an excellent choice for fins, I’ll do a video series about fin design and the choice of profile in the coming months.

Hi Hans,

Looking forward to trying it!

Hi Scott-

Thanks for all the comments, keep us posted as you test and tune. You share the same regard for whirlybirds as a couple others I know.

Hi Curlz,

Thanks for the thread, it’s been good reading. Let us know how it goes.

• J

This has been some great reading and information. I’m going to have to dig back through it and catch up on everything y’all threw out and actually process it all and study it. Thanks for sharing. 

Absolutely J! I’ll post up some pics on this thread tomorrow when I start shaping the board. Right now I am out working on the tint. Having issues with bleed through so posted another thread for it. I just put a cheater coat down to see if that seals up the grain for a clean line. We’ll see. 

Thanks again to all the contributors and information. I am definately going to go back through this information and start looking at making my first set of keels with what I take away.

Cheers mates!

am i confused here? are you talking about cant? toe-in in degrees? :slight_smile: