Fishy history

…The surfer I was thinking of was Randall Kim,no doubt many rode the T&C wing/swallow twin.Dane being a big influence.Herb

Gosh Herb, I almost forgot about Randall Kim. His talent was too obvious not be noticed and he was picked up T&C. He did the IPS tour for a while, a mainland gig at Con Surfboards, married a lovely Aussie lady, moved back home to the islands and became a Billabong honcho. Tragically he and his wife were murdered in his home by a pyscho neighbor in the early 90’s. The late 70’s twin fin early 80’s thruster era will always be landmark years for me.

Lets not forget Louie Ferreira and Vince Kline who used to rip on the Town and Country twin fins in the late 70’s.

I saw Randall Kim here in South Fla in the early 80’s at deerfeild pier on a little twin doing airs and ripping.He was killing 3 foot mush.Nice guy too.

I surfed with Randall at a Pro/Am contest in Malibu 1980 I remember he had a twin fin winged swallow fish. I was on a Stinger, I will always remember one wave that we both rode at third point he had cut me off I was riding backside he frontside as I caught up to him I rode past him, behind him in da tube then the wave closed out he came up looking for me behind him and he didn’t see me then he looked in front and saw me about ten yards away and he just shook his head in disbelief! Sorry to hear bout Randall…

something in this thread got me to go out and look in our board shed. we have a Con winged swallowtail twinfin fish. 5’11"x20"x3". on the stringer it says “shaped by Hig for Randall” hmmm. i would guess the board to be from around 1980

I also surfed with Randall down Phillip Island many years ago. He ripped, popping tail and fins out all over the place. Really…R.I.P!!!

Hey GW - Are you the friend of Russell (of Philip island) and Mickey Rat?

Yeah, g’day, who’s this? Can you guess where I am now?

The Fish Documentary has been released. Finally got to se it.

This thread is about 12 years old now, should we continue it?

Hope to hear more from all you guys.

N