Foam resin accident and best tape to use?

Thanks Mako, you have a great eye for detail! BUSTED! :smiley: Just kiddingā€¦ the truth is my son really wanted to try something adventerous with a stupidly down rail right up to the nose. It was shaped like that originally and then I tried to head the nose rail more towards 5050 but didnā€™t get further then 6040 at the very tip. I argued with him but he was adamant thatā€™s what he wanted. I told him it will be a nightmare to ride, twitchy as hell and cutting into the water all the time, no sliding around like kids like to do. But he is 17 now and I told him if he is wrong, he ainā€™t getting another board til next year (and he outgrew his last one so no board otherwise!). He agreed! I am not much of a surfer. I love it, but I am about intermediate at best, if I was in Cali I would call myself a beginner :D. So I eventually said ā€œfine, you made your bedā€¦ā€ and went ahead with what he wanted. But youā€™re right, I have never seen a board with down rails much beyond half way, and thatā€™s extremely rare especially here in mushy UK waves. But we will see, he may have to drastically improve (he is pretty good already, 17 yrs old and stronger now so can go out in bigger stuff with confidence) to make it rideable until he can ask for another!

That idea with the wire is great! I could use a piece of solder even, plenty of that lying around here. I donā€™t often copy from another board but I do sometimes so I will remember that one.

PS the flattening of rocker at nose - I had no room for any more than I got, but the camera may be misleading a bit as the curve is consistent from middle of board to tip, but I agree it doesnā€™t look it in that photo. When I posted a thread about how to get rocker from a blank, that was kinda what I was referring to though. the blank depth seemed to limit. I would have loved a steeper kick at the very tip of the nose but that would have changed the curve and needed more thickness. Maybe itā€™s my lack of experience, Maybe i took too much off the bottom when skinning, but I tried to get every bit of rocker out of the blank that i could and this was about the best I could get. I will say thereā€™s more rocker than I managed to get ever before, but more would have been nice. The tail also looks very flat in that pic but thereā€™s quite a bit of rocker in the tail.

Thanks again, great to have proper shaper eyes on my board!

Nose rocker with too abrupt of a curve can lead to a whole set of problems on itā€™s own, Including slowing down paddling speed and pushing water.  Flatter, to a point, can be better. 

Nothing new on that sort of design theory - a girlfriendā€™s brother was showing me his new flat(ish) nose rocker/boosted tail rocker on a single fin board made for Hawaii back in 1972. 

Here is a fairly recent article explaining it better than I canā€¦  

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/why-the-surfboard-nose-rocker-sometimes-sticks#:~:text=Nose%20rocker%20varies%20from%20low,can%20stop%20a%20flat%20surfboard.

A fascinating read that thanks.

Iā€™ll do a search, but I did a thread on Indasa last year.  I know they make a ā€œfine lineā€ tape, but otherwise the Yellow is what I use.  Works great.  Ever since I started using it, Iā€™ve had no need to experiment with others. 3Mā€™s Yellow refinishing tape and 2214 are less exspensive alternatives to 233.  The other Green 3M is for lower temps.   Iā€™ve got to say that I did some pretty extensive on the job testing over a two or three year period with a variety of tapes.  I doubt that there is anyone on this site that knows as much about the different brands and types of masking tape as I do.   3M, Shurtape, and others whose names fail me at the moment.  But now that I use Indasa I donā€™t even look back nor care what anyone else uses.  Lowel