four fin setups

just seeing if any one has done some relativly sucsessful four fin boards and could they give out the placement measurments & design differences they found? http://www.feraldave.com

Quads are great boards. They like to make big turns at speed. Not much for vertical surfing, but really good in down the line power. Start here with your fins: This is for a 6-2. Front fins at 10 1\2, rear fins at 5. Move cluster up 1\4 inch for each 3 inches of length increase. Front fins normal toe with 1 degree more cant, rear fins slightly less toe and minus 1 degree cant (2 degrees less than front). Bring the rear fins off the rail about 1\4 inch more than the front. Use a fin system so you can play around with sizes and templates. The overall design of the board will dictate final placement and fin sizes. Plan on going VERY FAST when you get it dialed! aloha, tom

has a board section with quite a few quad set ups. The book is from the '80s and has a lot of good information on design basics plus, about half of it is filled with boards. Planeshape measurements, rocker measurements, fin sizes, fin placement, etc. Like I said the book has several quads with good detail on them (also at least one bonzer, '80s thruster, guns, etc.). If you can’t find it, I can scan some quad info and email you a pdf file. Let me know.

Hey Tom, can you explain how, in theory, a quad fin will surf differently than a twinzer. Am I right in thinking the front fins on a quad are larger (not much) than the rear fins (which are normally set a bit more toward the stringer), whereas a twinzer is basically a twin fin with small carnards running just ahead and to the side? Thanks- rg

Hey Tom, can you explain how, in theory, a quad fin will surf differently > than a twinzer. Am I right in thinking the front fins on a quad are larger > (not much) than the rear fins (which are normally set a bit more toward > the stringer), whereas a twinzer is basically a twin fin with small > carnards running just ahead and to the side? Thanks- rg RG, I prefer my front fins larger than the rear, however I believe Bruce McKee (Curren’s quad shaper) likes his front fins slightly smaller than the back. The Twinzer surfs more like a twin fin and is a great board for smaller flatter faced waves (I have several). The Quad likes juice and is a lot like a really fast and drivey thruster, but drivier and faster but not as snappy. I was on a surf trip to a private point break a couple years ago and was on my quad. Someone wanted to try it so I got back on my thruster of similar dimensions. I was checking my fins to see if I was draging kelp or something. When you lose that rear fin you get rid of the anchor. Everything’s a trade off, though. aloha, tom

For what it’s worth – I know that a number of guys use quads at Mavericks as well as some of the other large wave spots around here. I’ve used one (not at Mavs) that has front and rear fins of equal size and it’s like riding a missle. Very stable at high speeds, holds VERY steep, fast walls with ease. Tough to crank around. This board, however, wasn’t designed for radical maneuver surfing. My theory with that board was that the quad set up makes for more fin area (hence more hold) and not so much a situation of fin drafting as in the twinzer and c-5 setups.

im really kinda searching for a 0-1 foot speedy board for airs in mushy windslop. i was thinking of the low level of drag in the four fins i have done before. but the negative to them has been the difficulty in going vertical at speed with them which is critical for airs! http://www.feraldave.com