G & S Waterskate

Right? While their concept of the planing hull hydrodynamics at work is, charitably, off, still, it was an interesting board. I’ll bet they went to the less dished deck on production boards as easier to glass. That’s about the amount of dish mine had. 

What was the board, the ‘Fly’? made by Con or possibly Bing? that was out around then, sculpted rails with a deck ‘platform’ transitioning to a thin rail, must have been an absolute beeyotch to glass but an interesting idea.Almost the exact opposite of the Waterskate premise. 

For my amusement, I looked at the dealer list at the bottom of the ad, talk about tales of surf shops past and gone.Not many of those left. Amusing, they had us in ‘East Hampton’, a mill town on a river a three hour drive away, which might explain a few things about how many G&Ss we sold. . 

doc…

You are probably thinking of the “Deuce”. One of the wretched early 70s twin fins that were briefly in vogue. It had a raised deck. (Pics attached)

The Butterfly series was around 1969 and had three or four shapes they offered. Most were similar to Weber Ski or G&S Magics of the period.

I didn’t notice that. East Hampton  sure as hell isn’t Eastham. 

Right? That;;s the one. To paraphrase comic genius and sometime housepainter Steven Wright, “It’s a small board, but I’d hate to glass it”. 

As you say, ‘wretched twin fins’ of the '70s, we didn’t carry them in East Hampton ( Jaysus… ) but they took down one shop I knew of. The owner was a good guy and the next year when the hype train went to something else, well, he was a good guy and took in the twins he had sold as trade-ins on the New Hot Thing and wound up with a back room stacked full of bad coffee table tops he had to eat. Folded the next year.We sold…one, the guy begged us to get it for him, sold on the understanding we didn’t want to see it again. 

East Hampton - as it happens, I have been there, once or twice. Was dating a woman, professor who taught Modern Dance at one of the Five Sisters out there and also a rather hot med student at UMass a couple years later. Definitely inland. Way inland. Farms all over the place growing cigar tobacco and a river or two.You’d think Larry Gordon would look at a map, or maybe his shipping labels. 

Right, the Con Butterflys, pretty and large graphics, otherwise nothing special as boards.Some friends of mine have one as their street address sign at the end of their driveway, I’d post a picture but some lunatic collector would probably drive all the way to East Hampton to steal it.