glass slowly chips away leaving a seam or elevated patch.

Every time I patch a board I have this problem where I cant get the glass to be perfectly matched with the previous glass. It seems like there is a patch ontop of the ding. It doesen’t ever want to become one when I try to sand them togther. It is always visible to the toutch. When I get the top layers of resin thin enough to sand fine Then it chips off leaving a closer line to the patched hole if I continue to sand and get rid of the line I will eventually chip all of my patch away and have to do it again. never being able to make a smooth patch that you cant feel, like when you pay for it at the surfshop. I sanded thourougly before dropping resin on it but that seems not to help my situation. Thanks I searched but could not find the key to my problem.

Hey Freight,

…sounds like you don’t prep throughly enough.Especially out ,around the ding,and/or you are corrupting the surface some how…even gloss resin will bond if the surface you prep, is clean and clear of dust,wax and other debris.

…as far as elevated…that’s also in the prep…you need to lower the depth of the said damaged area to match the general thickness of the materials used…Herb

…ps. damaged areas must also be dry and free from any moisture.

…brought to you by your friendly neighborhood 4th horseman…

yah you have to rough up the old glass to get any new resin to stick to it… i usually use 50 or 36 to rough up a ding and i usually try to get the weave to show… any “spray finished” board is coated with some sort of sealer that will inhabit bonding and any polished finish is too glossy for sticking… rough it up and then srub it with a solvent…

if you are filling with qcell do your filling first and then sand the filler down and sand the glass around it, then lam on your glass and then hot coat…