Glass types again ...

I know this has been brought up before, but I really couldn’t find the answers I’m hoping to … so here goes …

S-2 glass is incredibly expensive compared to E-glass. Is the extra strength significant enough to warrant the extra cost? You can darn near buy Kevlar as cheap as S-2, though it wouldn’t be ideal for most projects because it’s not clear.

What about K-glass? Stronger than standard E-glass, but how does it measure up to S-2? Somewhere in the middle? I’ve glassed with K-glass and it’s a little more difficult to wet out, but nothing I can’t handle, and it sure is pretty …

Think a layer of warp on long longboards and guns is a good idea? For example, what about this for a gun: layer of Kevlar or K-glass, a layer of Texalium (shiny stuff) then a layer of warp? Should give the extra weight desired and accomplish some strength.

What do you use in your shops? Does anybody use K-glass regularly? I used it once on “Checkers” and it really made the wood show through nice, and it seems strong … but then again, there’s veneer under that … different deal …

Billy

what do all the shops, and all the backyarders, do? there’s your answer.

I’m told even most of the yachtie types are just polyester resin, plain old e-glass. Sure you can spend a lot of time and effort going the high road, but in the end, the general conclusion is that it doesn’t seem to be worth it.

Here’s a link to some good info on types of fiberglass.

http://sweetcomposites.com/Fabric.html

BTW K-glass is a Silane finished E-glass thats woven differently than the plain weave that E-glass usually comes in. It has a flat weave with no twist in the yarn. Supposedly thats makes it stronger/lighter than plain E-glass. I think that may be because a flatter weave would saturate with less resin.