glassing at 64 degrees

Im glassing in 65 degree temps, with 60-75% humidity Any recomendations. Should I use more or less cat. compared to glassing in 78 temps? thanks K

use some more catalyst. maybe 1% more

Thanks for the suggestion Teddy. So last night I did my first glass job(only the bottom Lam). My hat goes off to those who work with polyester resin on a daily basis(or for those who have if wired!). Since you suggested an aditional 1% I added about 21 cc (2.25%) to one quart(60 degree temps). It worked pretty well, It gave me about 15 minutes to work with it. then it kicked. But here is what happened. Unknowingly, I had a 18" x 3" area that has waves in the glass. Basically I didn’t squeegy enough resin out in this particular section before it kicked. Now I have these little waves in this area just parallel to the the rail. Do I cut my losses here or is there some magic trick that I don’t know about? As of now the board is still not fully dry(12hrs later), I’d guess I have about 25% shinnys left(wet spots) Either way, Im pretty siked on how my laminate came out. The rice paper worked great! I guess now I’ll sand off the bumps and hair fibers that are fringing off, and begin glassing the top(weather permitting). With this weather, glassin in my kneck of the woods sucks!!! this rain just won’t quit!!. Thanks for your previous suggestions and future help. Kevin

Kevin; I know about the rain. I live in S. Jersey and we just can get a break. The waves you are talking about is there air under them? If so you can just cut them out with a razor knife, sand the edges down and patch them. Good luck; Frank

At this point Im pretty positive its resin. Im at work now, so I won’t beable to recheck til 6pm. The waves were still tacky this morning while other spots were dry.(board was 75% dry ) Im sure its all resin. The waves are pretty minor in apperance, but you can definatley feel them if you were to run your fingers along the glass. Im screwed right? K

If the waves are resin on top of the cloth you might be able to shave them off with a straight edge razor knife if they are still tacky when you get home. If they are cured you could try to sand them down. If they are minor, don’t worry about it. Frank

Thanks for your help Frank. I think I’ll just leave it. Once it dries it will be even more unoticable. Im actually gonna be in OC this weekend. Hopfully there will be some bumps to play on in S Jersey. I read that Sunday might get good. How many boards have you done?

I am working on my 7th, all longboards, it’s just a hobby for me. I work in AC and just came in off the B’walk and there a little swell coming in now and its not raining. I’ll be out at Strathmere on Sunday if there is anything. Keep your fingers crossed. Frank

The beach replenishment was the worst thing for that break. Still a favorite location though., a nice chill spot. I think I’ll hit the pier across Corsin’s Inlet on 55th, But I always check Vincent Ave. …its worth the 50 cents. later, K

Try pouring a little catalyzed lam resin over the wavey area and squeegeeing again. It might be under saturated cloth and you may be able to get rid of it that way.

I wonder if the shiny/wet spots you are talking about are areas where resin has pooled on top of the glass and not been scraped away with the squeegee. I also wonder if these spots are in fact dry (you say resin kicked in 15min) but you are observing the property of lam resin - it is designed to remain sticky on the surface exposed to air (air inhibited). so if you were to tap it you would find it is set but just sticky. The stickiness is designed to allow further laminates or coatings to bond well. The sanding resin however has wax mixed in which floats to the surface sealing it against the air and resulting in a sandable but dull surface. Attempting to sand these shiny spots out before putting on the sanding coat will result in clogged sandpaper and maybe sticky lumps on the board. Does this sound right? I’m not an expert, but learned the hard way about laminating resin not sanding well.