Glassing disaster

My first time at glassing and it turned out like IT was my first time at glassing. 

So the problem, is my laps are horrible, big, blodgy and extremely noticeable. I’ve done my best to sand these back with a 60-80 grit sandpaper. It looks a hell of lot better than it did before.

However, some areas are quite noticeable and the board looks like someone has kick the sh%t out of it. 

I guess my question is, now that I have sanded it back as best I can (remember still pretty bumpy and noticeable) what can I do to preserve the board?

Can I get an acrylic paint and and hide the crap with a colour then do a filler coat? 

I haven’t done a filler coat yet as I assumed the laps needed to be sanded first. 

P.s How I learned a lot about glassing today. 

I’m assuming your talking about the laps on the deck. Is that correct?

My advice is write it off as a loss.  Once you get your mind arounf the fact that the board will never touch the water, you will relax about it, and use it as a learning experience.  At that point try starting over.  Sand through the rails, and peel off the glass.  Peel off the bottom also.  Don’t sweat the gouges, because you have written the board off.  Pull out the planer, and re shape.  Your shaping could probably use some practice also, since this is your first board.

I’ve said this again and again.  Don’t start on a surfboard!  Work out your techniques on scraps of foam.  make a bunch of little  1 foot long boards to ficure out the materials, cure times, and get some skills.  If you do this, your next board might turn out ok.

I’ve been going through the garage, throwing away my early boards.  All kinds of mistakes.  You probably won’t get a good board until number 5.  So keep at it, and figure out what you are doing before you put down another $70 on a blank.

Yes thats correct, the laps. Sorry

Thanks, but not going to give up on it. I have one small burn through and the ugly lapping, I’d rather learn from fixing it than going back to shaping it as the shaping I feel I have a good grasp on. 

Any other alternatives guys?

Can I paint at this stage? Then do a filler coat?

I was glassing a little board , around four feet long but with tricky channels, a few days ago. I decided to give UV cure lam a try. It was around three hours 'til sunset and around 80 degrees. My shop faces west. Figured I had plenty of time before the sun’s rays reached the glassing area so I left the door open to ventilate. I saturated the bottom and rails and was merrily taking my time on the channels with an eye to the horizon. I was  thinking how nice it was not rushing the process when, while checking sun angle, I noticed some “curdling” of the resin in a wet area in the flats. Sure enough, the west facing rail had begun to go off. The sun had reflected off of the windshield of my truck in the drive, even though the sun was still high.

I’m sure I’ve glassed over a hundred (full-size)boards, but sometimes shrimp hits the prawn. It is an “experimental” model for personal use; I was able to salvage it, and it looks OK if you don’t look close. Rides good, too!

Just ride it and better luck on the cosmetics next time.

JW

Hi Dallas

All is not lost. If you just carry on - sand it till its all flat - if you have any ares where you’ve really gone through the cloth then just treat it as a repair and lay down little patches of glass - then hotcoat and sand the whole board. When it’s all finished up just paint on the hotcoat with a rattle can. The paint will hide the ugly bits. It will surf just the same. Next time you just need to work on getting the laps down tight and clean - theres plenty of advice on glassing on here if you dig around and some good clips on youtube. If you can try and watch someone experienced.

Cheers

Rich

www.thirdshade.com

Thanks for the confidence JW

Thanks for ideas Richard. I just sanded most of the laminate back with just a couple of burn throughs. Nothing to bad. But WOW its tough reshaping laminated fibreglass. 

Just a query though, now’s it all sanded right back, you still couldn’t paint on the sanded laminate? Can I do a pigmented hoat coat?

If not. I think I will try what you said Richard, do the patch repairs and hot coat. Then paint the ugly spots.

Cheers fellas.

Hey dallas you  could pigment your filler sand it all back to 120 then do a pigmented gloss in the same colour they come up good. 

can you post some pictures?

All good advise, since it’s your first board, just finish it and ride it. Learn from your mistakes and keep at it. It all takes time and experience. 

wax hides a lot of glassing f'ups on the deck (trust me on this!)  Wax out over the laps and ride it. Have fun.

…hello man, I ll try to help you. First check this basic protocol:

-bottom lam

-check the laps are good, if you have any bump or tiny bubble, normally on tail and nose, you sand it; but if you are new better not sand anything and continue with the deck lam; then after the hot coat (filler coat) you can sand through the layers and fix the bubbles, etc.

-deck lamination

-hot coat: different procedures that depend on type of lamination, fibers, tints, etc; but here the possibilities: 1- hot coat deck, rails and clean the bottom edge with a small squeegee; then sand that small “line” of hot coat on the bottom lap and h coat bottom. 2- hot coat deck, rails and lap (passing a bit the lap actually); then sand the lap and hot coat bottom. 3- put a tape in the apex of the rails and hot coat deck and top part of the rails (to the tape) then put another tape 1/16 under the ridge let by the previous tape and h coat bottom.

So, you still are in the game.

Pass a brush with monomere over the laps and check all the way around for any thing wrong, then pass a brush with hot coat UV resin over laps; then sand then down; check that you do not have any shine spots over the laps and that all is clean.

Do the bottom hot coat or if you do not do it the deck hot coat; use #2 instead of previous step.

Read this more than one time; it s all there; you can still save your board and learn the way.

I’ve done the same thing. I cut the worst bits out and then just did the second layer on the deck glass and hot coated it. Lots of sanding down and reapplying resin eventually got it all fairly smooth, well from a few meters away. Board ended up heavy but I still surfed it for a few times before sticking it in the shed.

All is not lost. A lot of the advice on here comes from really experienced people, making boards for a living. There’s a big difference between a board that will still be water tight and a board that is of a sufficiently high standard that someone would shell out their hard earned for. I know I would never paysomeone for the ugly boards I have made, but I reckon beginner Backyard hackers like me don’t need to be so concerned over some of those details.  Now it isn’t perfect you won’t sweat over any extra stuff ups. Just finish it and chalk it up as experience.

Where are you Dallasf ?

The best advice is given face to face, search out your local Swaylockian and learn more in an hour than you could in a year. The Dark Arts of Glassing aren’t learnt in a day and I’m sure any of the guys will help you out.

Thanks for all the help guys, seriously! Its all worked out ok, taking a bit from everyones advice. 

Boards looking pretty sweet, just have to sand now. Praying for no burn throughs!

Thanks again