gloss coat w/sanding resin

i was going to try a gloss coat with some very fresh resin i just got. do i need to mix it differently? more catalyst? and do i coat with the same method as a hot coat? meaning, using the cross strokes???

AS FAR AS I KNOW YOU NEED TO ADD STYRENE MONOMER. Not sure of the mixture ratios.

ratios anyone???

Teddy: To Silmar S249a lam resin I might add 2%wax + 2%styrene. These numbers could vary depending on how old the resin is and what the temperature is at the time. Best if you try a little and see how it works for you in your situation. Check the archives on this, there are a number of old posts too. Tom S.>>> ratios anyone???

for an average temp…how hot should i mix it? when compared to a regular hot coat???

Teddy: Using hotcoat resin to make DIY Glossing Resin. Average temp for me is 78 degrees if I’m lucky (AC has been on for at least an hour). Using my normal hotcoat mix I simply thin out with Styrene Monomer. Maybe 2% by volume of the batch. In other words: 3oz paper cup= 90 ml. Hotcoat resin= 90 ml. Approx. Styrene added= (.9 ml = 1%)>>>> 1.8 ml. Same or less on the Catalyst Ratio. I use SunCure for all my lams, and use the SunCure additive in all my resin mixes even though I prefer to catalyze hotcoats and glosscoats. I’ve had too many problems walking hotcoats and glosscoats out of doors in wind and blowing trash from trees overhead. Tom S.>>> for an average temp…how hot should i mix it? when compared to a regular > hot coat???

thanks tom/…i am pretty bad with conversions. ok another equation for ya. say i would plan on using approx. 16 oz. for a gloss coat on a longboard… 1% styrene, catalyst i am a little unsure. say…about 15 cc’s, in about an 80 deg. air temp. or should i mix it hotter??

thanks tom/…i am pretty bad with conversions. ok another > equation for ya. say i would plan on using approx. 16 oz. for a gloss coat > on a longboard… 1% styrene, catalyst i am a little unsure. say…about > 15 cc’s, in about an 80 deg. air temp. or should i mix it hotter?? This is called cheating,its ok but if you want to gloss a board I would get gloss resin.Hot coat resin leaves little wax pits and doesn’t polish worth a damn.I have been trying to get around the same problem for a long time because gloss resin is expensive and hard to get and has a limited shelf life.I guess we get what we pay for.If you just want a sanded finish look you will be O.K.

yeah, i might go with the gloss resin. only catalyst needs to be added? or must you add wax?? thanks

yeah, i might go with the gloss resin. only catalyst needs to be added? or > must you add wax?? thanks Teddy you are on the right track.Gloss Resin already has wax added,I like Reichold but Silmar also makes a good product.Here are some glossing tricks that I have learned in 30 plus years.Sand the board to at least 120 grit.Blow it off real good with an air compressor.Tape the rails and and wipe the board with acetone using a white paper towel (this step kind of softens up the hotcoat).Strain the the resin through a medium cup strainer (these are shaped like a cone and are common paint products).Gloss resin is best used in a cold room and is catylized pretty hot.For example 75 degree room using 16 oz. of reichold resin I would use 35cc.Glossing is like hot coating,cross stroke twice and stroke longwise once using light brush pressure.Don’t worry to much about little zits that show up they will be sanded and polished they look really bad when the resin is wet but it will all go away in the end.I like my glosses to jell within 20 minutes.Hope this wasn’t to confusing.The trick is in the polishing.Good luck bro.

thank you very much…huge help

thanks so much…no styrene??

thanks so much…no styrene?? Not unless the resin is old and thick.Gloss resin has a short shelf life,store it in a cool room and seal the cap well.I wish I could figure out a way to tell you about the viscosity but it is beyond words.Adding styrene is a pretty safe thing as long as you don’t over do it.Fifteen cc to 16 ounces should be safe if the resin seems thick.A little bit goes a long way,stir really well and use gloves…styrene is toxic stuff.Very toxic indeed.

ok, good. i think i have the glossing thing figured out. thanks so much… it is much appreciated!!