Gopro Camera setups

phil getting tubed , land perspective [note simon with 'pole-cam go pro']

simonatwork.jpg

...and ... simon's perspective of phil...

simonspolecamshotofphilmarksinindo.jpg

[notice how the wide angle makes the person look further away , and the wave look smaller / fatter ?!]

cheers !

ben

hahaha, I was thinking the same thing… =)

thanks for posting Simon’s pics here Chipper… that bicep shot is SWEET!

no worries Chris !

now, this from Simon while he visited  'Facebook' ,  tonight [west australian standard time ]...

Simon Chipper  24 June at 19:19
 " Here ya go.. tell 'em that this one works for me but that it very much depends on the way the individual uses his, or her, back arm when in the tube. My mate Sandy has his on his wrist but if I do that all you see is a BIG HAND and lots of spray!!
The mount is sewn onto the legrope strap with dental floss,, strongest thread I can find! "
P14001221.jpg
and , assembled and ready to film... and , it looks like this guy is PSYCHED , too, eh ? [THAT always HELPS , I  think !!]
P14001231.jpg
Many  thanks , Simon , for sending these !
...if it means we get better results , then ...mission accomplished !!
  cheers mate !
  ben

Howdy all…

Simon here, Ben’s bro.

A few pix to illustrate different mounts for you.

OK so I’m new at this…

I thought I’d captioned em, so here ya go - 

Bottom pic first working upwards;

Me using the wrist mount. Obviously I cock my hand too much.

Next one is Mr Sandy Ryan wearing his wrist mount and above that a typical result of him using that setup

Next is me with the bicep mount, the disembodied arm is a bit weird but it’s better than the giant hand!

I’ve also been using a short ( 1 meter ) pole which works  pretty good but is a little difficult to swim with. I’ve had a go using it on a board doing go-behinds with my son Eli but only when the waves are not too serious.

Great pics!  Brian Conley’s got nothing on you!  I’m wondering how big the waves are in those pics (tube shots)?  I notice in Conley’s films what I think is a head high wave in the water shot, from the beach looks like a double overhead grinder.

thanks heaps for posting those , Simon !!

.... I forgot to ask ,

do you also by any chance have a shot of the pole that you mount it on , and showing how , if it's not too much trouble , please ?

cheers , and keep them coming !

...do you reckon Sandy would ever feel like posting some of HIS shots here , too ?? .... he must have some absolute GOLD huuuge wave shots , eh ?!

ben 

The head mount was actually pretty stable and wasn’t a problem except that it could come off. I spent too much time worrying about losing the camera. A helmet version would be fine, but you gotta be pretty OK with looking kinda strange. I don’t care what I look like, so it didn’t matter wearing that funky head strap. I think a strap on the upper arm is the way to go. That way it doesn’t get in the way when you paddle.

My biggest problem with the go pro is the extra wide angle lens. It’s great for “hero” shots of yourself, but not so good for shooting others. I was laughing when I watched the video because I make a lot more noise paddling for the waves than I thought. Not like calling people off, but breathing hard and paddling hard.

There’s a guy I see out at Diamond Head who keeps a water proof camera in his pocket. When he’s in the mood he pulls it out and shoots. Those waterproof point and shoot cameras take nice photos, and can also shoot video. That’s the way to go for shooting others while you’re out surfing.

Kokua, wearing heading to Arizona in August. I told my wife that I’m going to see you sometime during our trip. As soon as I can figure out the exact day I can see you, I’ll PM you.

Aloha, Harry

thanks for posting those Simon!

I think that’s my next project, an arm strap.

I remember seeing somewhere online where they were retrofitting the housing to have flat glass... I'll try to find it again...

I guess the camera itself will still have a wide angle lense but the housing won't so, maybe the total effect will be less fish-eye???...

an extra water-housing is only $40 so that's not bad to experiment with.

That is certainly true but it’s not really designed for anything except " point of view" pix.

It just means you have to get SUPER close which obviously is difficult if not dangerous if you too are on a surfboard.

as shark country sez… there are some great little waterproof point & shoot models on the market. Their biggest problem seems to be water drops because the front port is so small… a problem the GoPro don’t have so much cause the port is convex.

That being said, get some fins and swim out… like ben said earlier, it’s real good fun, like being in a surf movie! When the waves are crankin and it’s crowded… more fun than a barrel full o monkeys!

Here’s some pix of the rig I’ve been using the most lately. I used a small stick for a while ( 1st photo ) but you don’t really need to. With the camera just on a wrist strap, easy to swim and I have caught waves using it as you can see in the last pic. Haven’t really given that a go yet, just assessing the possibulities.

And finally, before I bore the pants off everyone…

Here’s pix of the pole and mount.

Pole is a broke off SUP paddle, mount is the bike handlebar/seat stem mount GoPro accessory thingo. I stuffed foam into the pole so it will float… Swimming out with this rig, the leash strap attaches to the cable tie mid way up the pole so you can sling it over your shoulder, then when you’re in position, it goes  on the bicep. 

GoPro also makes a helmet mount that will adhere to your Gath… only prob with a head mount is, when you’re surfing you tend to look where you are going before you go there.

I reckon the best angle is the Brian Connelly tail mount on a stick, but SO difficult to do and actually quite risky I think to camera and operator!

not boring at all Simon, thanks for sharing!

food for thought for sure…

yep , thanks heaps Simon for the piccies , especially the pole setup !

hope you're enjoying these , Bernie and sharky and others ??

cheers !!

ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIu5B3Fsstg&feature=player_embedded

Howzit oneula, I can hear the boys having a good laugh as I write this. But the matter is you are right about getting hurt and if sharkcountry was a Bay regular they wouldn't laugh since he is not the first person to wear a hat at Hanalei and even a few of the longtimers wear them due to the melanoma factor. Did he have a camera attached to the hat and if he did, did he get any pictures? One thing abut Carlos is he has been surfing Hanalei longer than probably anybody in the ater and no body is going to say a thing about his speedos, He is a great musician and he and Pat Cocket wrote some songs that Sunday Manoa sang and put on their albums. Aloha,Kokua

Great for riding behind guys in the barrel:

The GoPro mounting system is brilliant and versatile...

Since GoPro does not offer a Tripod mount for non-go Pro Cameras,  I made one for myself...

.... that's ingenious , Paul ... good on ya !

cheers !

ben