Is there a good way to do a gradient using regular acrylic paints (brush application) or pens, not airbrushing? Sean.

Sean, I paint my boards with acrylic using a brush. One thing i did that looked kind of cool was I taped the pin line then used the brush to paint up to my line. Next, I took a wet brush and moved the paint towards the center. I got sort of a tie-dye look. Hope this makes sense.

I was thinking of painting the entire back of a board with a red to orange to yellow gradient but I don’t have any airbrushing equipment I only have paints that can be applied with a brush or acrylic pens.

Experiment on an old chunk of foam or something.

I noticed Krylon has a new line of water based spray cans. I haven’t tried them yet. Could be a good route for people that want to do simple stuff with stencils or doilies, but don’t want to invest in airbrush equipment. The new krylon is safe for stryrofoam.

What about those acrylic spraycan touch up paints for cars? Does anyone know if they are ok to use on PU foam?

I used the acrylic spray paints from the auto shops ant they work just fine. Brian

A gradient is nothing more than a series of tones descending, or ascending in hue value. You can acccomplish this in a grphic manor as opposed to using the airbrush. Besides a fade looks so damn early 80’s anyway. Take the color you want to start the fade and the color you want to end the fade with. Mow mix about 10 different hues that go in increasing varriables of one to the other. For instance say a Blue that faded to white. Start with straight blue, then mix a very small amount of white for the next level, then add a little more wite for the next level, then a little more for the next and so on. Next thing you kn ow you ahve a cool looking graphic representation of a fade. Much cooler than airbrush Drew

Thanks Drew, that’s what I was thinking, should there be any way to separate each level or do i just mix them into each other?