'Green' Surf Wax - Lies

Thanks Moonemic & Co. for sharing.

This is something I had in mind for many many moons, but I had never actually brought it to the pans and stovetop until this past week. It’s cool to finally get my hands on making a little of surf wax for myself.

Hey Moonemic:

“You saw me AND you heard me.”

That is one good video.

Thanks!

Here’s a little song for today:

http://www.filestube.com/a625b2b42334f14c03e9/details.html

Hope you’ll enjoy!

These are the waves in my homeland right now:

http://www.comoestaeso.com/forums/content/la-ocho-live-surf-cams-20/

Good riddance all over and spread the love…

Yeah, and sorry for driving way off topic…

Just a little good-vibe spreading!

Funny story how I came to dabble in making wax. I had just moved to the North Coast NSW with my then wife and baby daughter. We had purchased 6 acres of rainforest and were about to start building when I heard about a government scheme to help new and unique businesses get started. The scheme was closing applications in a couple of days so I had to come up with an idea pronto. After inhaling some ‘thinking help’ I put together a proposal to combine growing passionfruit and using it’s derivatives in surfboard wax , called it Passionwax and got the grant , used the 12mths income support to build my house. Planted 400 passionfruit vines and made a couple of hundred blocks of wax to justify my endeavor , 6mths later marriage bustup and that was that . Here’s a good recipe link       http://www.surfing-waves.com/howto/make_surf_wax.htm

Cheers

Mooneemick

Thanks Mooneemick & co.

I made the best tropical surf wax I’ve done so far.

It was approximately 1 part petroleum jelly, 4 parts beeswax, 12 parts candle paraffin.

The beeswax definitely gives the mixture the “rubberiness” I was looking for.

It smells absurdly like honey. I think I’ll give it some stronger non-honey scent on the next run.

I wonder if it will be sought by insects for its nutrients.

Also wonder if SexWax’s “Never Spoils” on the original sticker has something to do with competing beeswax-based brands of the time.

I’ll keep working at it for refinements.

Any ideas will always be welcome.

I’ve been using succesfully a Roy inspired recipe with bees wax, coconut oil and pine tree resin.  All these components are easy to find  in my area. 

Lots of bee keepers in my area + I live at the heart of Europe’s largest pine tree forest.  In france I find coconut oil at the grocery store (“Vegetaline”).

The right mix then depends on the season and on how you like your wax.  The more you add resin, the stickier it gets.  It gives a really efficient stickiness but 

too much resin makes the wax turn dirty rapidly.  The more oil you put, the softer the wax gets.   Coconut oil is nice for winter wax because it first softens the wax

(makes it easier to apply on your deck) and then hardens it once in cold water (for an efficient and stable wax).

However, I haven’t yet found a good recipe for summer…

…and it does smell honey real strong.  I guess that wouldn’t be suitable for alaskan surfers !