Haleiwa

I’m going next week to Haleiwa, any suggestions on surf spots? Is Laniakea a good spot for an average surfer?? I’m probably going to bring my 6.0 fish that I just finished making. I know the water is looking not so hot right now, but it would be nice to get in the warm water (I’m from Oregon). Were staying at a beach house, a few miles west of town. Here’s pics of the 2 fishes I just finished, I have better ones to process and upload onto resources.

Thanks,

Tom

a big west northwest plowing through this weekend

if the front lets up and the aleution juice can pass through we’ll be back up to 4-8 footers hawaiian style in the coming weeks. a fish during any swell is gonna be rough but if you’re good it’s doable

Country is clean compared to elsewhere so expect crowds from the south and southeast

the crowds will open your eyes.

sit on the inside at alii beach park on the doubles infront of the rocks on the right is a nice fish spot. Alot of duck diving on the sets but plenty of lifeguards, a bathroon and a parking lot. Just don’t drop in on any locals

you take your time you’ll get your share…

Lanis and Chuns are car break-in spots and intensely crowded on any swell definitely fish spots

lots of others just be safe and smart with your valuables including your self.

[=Blue]

Aloha Tom

Stop by my shop and introduce yourself. I am usually around. If you don’t know where I am in Haleiwa ask anyone, they will tell you where “Barnfield’s” is.

We can talk surfboards and Oregon stuff.

Bring a board other than only a fish or get one here there are plenty of used boards in Haleiwa, the surf can still be huge in April.

BB

I’ll second Barnfield’s advice for sure.

Most reef breaks NS, they START to break at head high, and moving really fast. A 7’ tri fin is much more useful, unless you camp the SouthShore.

I can’t think of any waves there that are good for fish’s, unless you’re talking the beach breaks, and you’ll find crowds there you won’t believe.

Yup… Just because its not mid winter doesn’t mean the waves got any less powerful. Its still potent if we get a good swell which I think we will sometime next week. Fish is fine for the small days but to really enjoy it here get a good paddling longer board than a little fish. When in Haleiwa I’m usually there most mornings if its good. Come say hello… When I’m in the water I’ll have a canoe paddle. When on shore I’m hanging with the bruddahs…

Haleiwa 2 days ago…

From yesterday… A good Fish day…

Thank all for the advice, I guess I should have finished my 7.6 mini-gun swallow. I never ended up glassing it this winter(to busy with FF/volunteer training)…its just sitting on the rack, waiting. Maybe I won’t waste the money to bring the fish afterall. I’m a long time skimboarder and can bring my carbon/kevlar board and not even worry about it getting damaged. Then I can crank some turns in the shorebreak. Oregon sucks for skimming but I was raised on the beaches of Santa Cruz and its fun for skimming. I’ll come by Bill and check out the shop. Thanks Lee for the advice and photo’s. The whole stand up paddle thing looks fun…I would like to try it sometime.

Tom

That board would be perfect for you here! Nice!

ey carvenalu…im coming back home too …to surf…i get in sunday night so monday morning at dawn at haleiwa if get waves…if you still have my phone # or email address gimme a call …ill send you an email if i can find yours ok later…

You have a lot of options. I am a very experienced guy on the North Shore (yeah, right).

Seriously, I’ve been a few times and have some tips that might help from a very advanced surfer (when it’s chest high) to an intermediate surfer (a foot or two overhead) and a total kook (when it’s big, big). Again I joke a bit. I’m an advanced intermediate.

There are a lot of good rentals on the North Shore. Plus, a great option is to buy a used board, use it for a week, and then sell it on consignment at the end of the week (provided it didn’t break). I’ve done that, and if you are patient, you’ll get paid and only come out fifty bucks or so behind.

Tip #1: Check with your credit card company about insurance. It’s usually free and (at least with American Express) will provide you a refund if any purchase is lost, stolen, or broken within 90 days of purchase, no questions asked. So, go get that new gun you’ve always wanted when you get to the North Shore, and go have fun. If it breaks, AMEX will refund the money, and you can even tell them the truth. They’re that cool. I’ve had to make a couple claims, and it doesn’t hurt your credit record at all.

Tip #2: Pinballs (inside Waimea) is a great fish spot. The wave is big and mushy, perfect for fishing. I like it because it shows you the power, but forces you to stay in the pocket (if you can call it a pocket). It’s an easy paddleout, and as long as you are careful about the rocks, you’ll be fine. When it gets big, though, stay on the beach. Waimea Bay is crazy. But Pinballs is manageable. Easy spot to shoulderhop (but not in front of anyone).

Tip #3: If you are in town, go to Leonard’s. From the outside it looks like crap, but the Malasadas (a doughnut-like pastry) will blow your mind.

Tip #4: Ehukai Beach Park (Pipeline’s channel). The wave is great, and usually safe. Plus you can watch Pipe. That’s my favorite spot, because I get barreled, have fun, the reef is smoother, often covered in sand, rarely crowded, and the lifeguard is there.

Sunset Beach is also a good option when smaller. Good channel. But watch the swell. If it’s expected to rise, don’t be afraid to paddle in quickly. Paddling out and out and out isn’t going to work. When in doubt, get the heck out. That’s what I say, and that’s what all the signs say on the side of the road.

Good luck.

Oh, yeah. If the winds are Kona (and you’ll know), try the windward side.

If you bring your fish, you could probably use it in the smaller stuff, say up to 4 ft. Once it gets like 6ft. a semi gun would definitely be the call. Over 8ft. you’ll probably be comfortable on at least a 7’6". Most of the spots are user friendly for intermediate surfers when its small. Haleiwa, Laniakea, Chun’s and most other spots can be a lot of fun, but crowded too. Ask lifeguards or locals if they know if the swell is on the rise. It’s not fun being undergunned or underexperienced should the rapidly increase. Watch for a while, sometimes the waves may look small, then suddenly a big set may come from nowhere. The Surf News Network number is 596-7873, they’re a good source of present and future surf conditions here.

I’m going next week to Haleiwa, any suggestions on surf spots? Is Laniakea a good spot for an average surfer?? I’m probably going to bring my 6.0 fish that I just finished making. I know the water is looking not so hot right now, but it would be nice to get in the warm water (I’m from Oregon). Were staying at a beach house, a few miles west of town. Here’s pics of the 2 fishes I just finished, I have better ones to process and upload onto resources.

Thanks,

Tom

a big west northwest plowing through this weekend

if the front lets up and the aleution juice can pass through we’ll be back up to 4-8 footers hawaiian style in the coming weeks. a fish during any swell is gonna be rough but if you’re good it’s doable

Country is clean compared to elsewhere so expect crowds from the south and southeast

the crowds will open your eyes.

sit on the inside at alii beach park on the doubles infront of the rocks on the right is a nice fish spot. Alot of duck diving on the sets but plenty of lifeguards, a bathroon and a parking lot. Just don’t drop in on any locals

you take your time you’ll get your share…

Lanis and Chuns are car break-in spots and intensely crowded on any swell definitely fish spots

lots of others just be safe and smart with your valuables including your self.

[=Blue]

Aloha Tom

Stop by my shop and introduce yourself. I am usually around. If you don’t know where I am in Haleiwa ask anyone, they will tell you where “Barnfield’s” is.

We can talk surfboards and Oregon stuff.

Bring a board other than only a fish or get one here there are plenty of used boards in Haleiwa, the surf can still be huge in April.

BB

I’ll second Barnfield’s advice for sure.

Most reef breaks NS, they START to break at head high, and moving really fast. A 7’ tri fin is much more useful, unless you camp the SouthShore.

I can’t think of any waves there that are good for fish’s, unless you’re talking the beach breaks, and you’ll find crowds there you won’t believe.

Yup… Just because its not mid winter doesn’t mean the waves got any less powerful. Its still potent if we get a good swell which I think we will sometime next week. Fish is fine for the small days but to really enjoy it here get a good paddling longer board than a little fish. When in Haleiwa I’m usually there most mornings if its good. Come say hello… When I’m in the water I’ll have a canoe paddle. When on shore I’m hanging with the bruddahs…

Haleiwa 2 days ago…

From yesterday… A good Fish day…

Thank all for the advice, I guess I should have finished my 7.6 mini-gun swallow. I never ended up glassing it this winter(to busy with FF/volunteer training)…its just sitting on the rack, waiting. Maybe I won’t waste the money to bring the fish afterall. I’m a long time skimboarder and can bring my carbon/kevlar board and not even worry about it getting damaged. Then I can crank some turns in the shorebreak. Oregon sucks for skimming but I was raised on the beaches of Santa Cruz and its fun for skimming. I’ll come by Bill and check out the shop. Thanks Lee for the advice and photo’s. The whole stand up paddle thing looks fun…I would like to try it sometime.

Tom

That board would be perfect for you here! Nice!

ey carvenalu…im coming back home too …to surf…i get in sunday night so monday morning at dawn at haleiwa if get waves…if you still have my phone # or email address gimme a call …ill send you an email if i can find yours ok later…

You have a lot of options. I am a very experienced guy on the North Shore (yeah, right).

Seriously, I’ve been a few times and have some tips that might help from a very advanced surfer (when it’s chest high) to an intermediate surfer (a foot or two overhead) and a total kook (when it’s big, big). Again I joke a bit. I’m an advanced intermediate.

There are a lot of good rentals on the North Shore. Plus, a great option is to buy a used board, use it for a week, and then sell it on consignment at the end of the week (provided it didn’t break). I’ve done that, and if you are patient, you’ll get paid and only come out fifty bucks or so behind.

Tip #1: Check with your credit card company about insurance. It’s usually free and (at least with American Express) will provide you a refund if any purchase is lost, stolen, or broken within 90 days of purchase, no questions asked. So, go get that new gun you’ve always wanted when you get to the North Shore, and go have fun. If it breaks, AMEX will refund the money, and you can even tell them the truth. They’re that cool. I’ve had to make a couple claims, and it doesn’t hurt your credit record at all.

Tip #2: Pinballs (inside Waimea) is a great fish spot. The wave is big and mushy, perfect for fishing. I like it because it shows you the power, but forces you to stay in the pocket (if you can call it a pocket). It’s an easy paddleout, and as long as you are careful about the rocks, you’ll be fine. When it gets big, though, stay on the beach. Waimea Bay is crazy. But Pinballs is manageable. Easy spot to shoulderhop (but not in front of anyone).

Tip #3: If you are in town, go to Leonard’s. From the outside it looks like crap, but the Malasadas (a doughnut-like pastry) will blow your mind.

Tip #4: Ehukai Beach Park (Pipeline’s channel). The wave is great, and usually safe. Plus you can watch Pipe. That’s my favorite spot, because I get barreled, have fun, the reef is smoother, often covered in sand, rarely crowded, and the lifeguard is there.

Sunset Beach is also a good option when smaller. Good channel. But watch the swell. If it’s expected to rise, don’t be afraid to paddle in quickly. Paddling out and out and out isn’t going to work. When in doubt, get the heck out. That’s what I say, and that’s what all the signs say on the side of the road.

Good luck.

Oh, yeah. If the winds are Kona (and you’ll know), try the windward side.

If you bring your fish, you could probably use it in the smaller stuff, say up to 4 ft. Once it gets like 6ft. a semi gun would definitely be the call. Over 8ft. you’ll probably be comfortable on at least a 7’6". Most of the spots are user friendly for intermediate surfers when its small. Haleiwa, Laniakea, Chun’s and most other spots can be a lot of fun, but crowded too. Ask lifeguards or locals if they know if the swell is on the rise. It’s not fun being undergunned or underexperienced should the rapidly increase. Watch for a while, sometimes the waves may look small, then suddenly a big set may come from nowhere. The Surf News Network number is 596-7873, they’re a good source of present and future surf conditions here.