Hansen Superlight

well I didn’t have any luck talking the guy out of the fin, so I’m back to square one.  is there any possibility you could get your hands on a template for one of those fins?  I know a couple of guys who make fins and I could see if they want to try something new.  if that doesn’t pan out I’m going to contact Juan at oneworldsurf.  on a side note I came across this ad on ebay and was wondering if you could shed any light on the Edgar Allan Poe reference.

Aloha Jiblet,  

Contact Juan ASAP, to determine cost and availability.        That info will help you make descissions about other possible sources.     I think I know a fellow that MAY have one.       He’s out of town presently, but will return in about a week.       I’ve done a restoratioin on a chalky damaged Hansen fin, that came out better than I expected.      I changed a ‘‘throwaway’’ fin into a ‘‘keeper.’’      As to the POE ad, like you, it also baffles me.      You also might contact the Hansen store/shop in Encinitas, and see if they have any of those fins hidden away.      It can’t hurt.       There is a way to make a glass fin to fit your board, using the ‘‘box’’ as a mold, to form the base.     It involves using PVA as a release agent.        Persue that as a last resort.

I haven’t looked at mine in a long time.  One of them is out of the box.  I won’t be back in town for a week or so.  I’ll take a look at them.  Check the screw size etc.  very few of those old fins maintain there templates.  They are usually ground down from running onto the sand or rocks.  Or;  someone has truly taken a grinder to them.  I would think Bill’s method of using the box as a mold would work.  Just get all the measurements etc. that you can and think the whole process out.  Lowel 

so with a lot of elbow and wrist grease I have her prepped for ding repair.  I have talked to Juan at oneworldsurf.com and sent him a check, so I should be getting the fin by next week at the latest.  here are some pics of my sanding work.  I had to uncover most of the small Hansen logo as it was caked with resin.  it took a lot of work to get her to this stage but I think it’s going to be well worth it once she’s seaworthy.  thanks again for all the useful info.  I’ll probably post pics of me riding her when I get back in the water next August.

you may have forgotten this project, but after I finished prepping and turning her over to my ding repair guy she’s finished!!! she turned out great so if you’re in central FL and need ding repair look up Bob with Blue Whale Surfboards.  I won’t be able to ride her until September or October, but let me know what you think.

Groovy cool.

[Quote=jiblet65]after I finished prepping and turning her over to my ding repair guy she’s finished!!! …let me know what you think.
[/quote]

I think it looks great. Happy to see that you and your repair guy did not try to disguise the boards history and battle scars.

Unlike that con artist whose initials are RR, who sells ‘re-habbed’ boards at high prices while duping the customer.

Well done.

So sweet.  Nice one!

thanks! by keeping the flaws, I think the original beauty of the board came out as well. I picked this up from the second owner and he was very impressed with the results when I texted the pics to him. he had it sitting around for years and decided to try to find a good home for her. she found one with me and she’s not for sale as she’s a keeper.

…“giving her the noose”…(lol)…never heard that one before…fits the bill perfect !

Or did you have Juan make you one?

RR is pretty open about his rehabs. He has Utube videos showing some of his methods. As far as I know the Collecters that buy his Boards know what they are getting.
I do think that a vintage board with all its war wounds and scares properly sealed and finished can be a thing of beauty. A vintage board found in near perfect condition is very rare as such they should command top dollar. As long as RR doesn’t make any claims that the Board is not totally original., I just don’t see any con job. I no long collect. I have one old board a SNI sting shaped by D T

yes I did have Juan make one, thanks. you can see it in the two pics I posted after she was fixed up proper.

Great old thread, inspirational