Help! My 9'6" Skip Frye "Magegg" needs a Resto!

Whas da haps braddahs? I am officially the proud owner of a 9’6" Skip Frye “The Diamond Frye” Magegg. I just got back from dropping off some new Skil 100 blades at Skip’s shop, and I had him take a look at my board. He said it was made between 1986 and 1987. I thought it was an Eagle but he said it’s not an “Eagle”. The “Eagle” was more of a pintail with a pointier nose. Even though the logo has his standard wing design, it has a diamond in the center of the wings instead of a round pelican belly with a dot in the center, hence giving it the title “The Diamond Frye”. I talked to skip about it and he said it is very rare. He claims he only worked for Diamond Glassing for 2 years and in that two years he only made approx. 340 of “The Diamond Frye” models. He only has “one” in his whole quiver - and he’s the one who shaped 'em, so I know I have a true classic. He only used this logo between 1986 and 1988 when he worked for Diamond Glassing out of San Diego. Its length is 9’6" and it’s actually called a “Magegg” (pronounced like “magic”) because he used the tail template from his “magic” model and combined it with the nose template from his “egg” model specifically for average San Diego Conditions. Anyway… I thought this was interesting surf-trivia. I bought it at the Longboard Grotto for $155.00 even. He didn’t charge me tax because I bartered with him. He wanted more, but I worked him down because of the shape the board is in. It needs resto-work. I want to take my time on this one and do it right. It needs to be sanded down top and bottom from nose to tail, rail to rail, to the layer where the logos are without damaging the logos, or any of his pencil marks and writing (to keep it original). Then it needs any previously “water-soaked” / “wet” foam removed and replaced with new foam (no Q-cell work on this classic - I can’t have the added weight). If there is any damaged foam or damaged areas in the logo area, I will just leave it to spare any possibility of damaging the logos. Then it needs to be stenciled/taped off 100% perfectly in the logo area, and along the stringer (and pencil marked areas) and either re-tinted to the original teal green tint or sprayed white, re-glassed, re-glossed, and polished, avoiding as much weight as possible. I will ask skip what he recommends for the tint and weight of glass to keep it as original as possible. This just might be the most intricate and complicated resto-project to date, but I’m willing to spend whatever time and money it takes to get it back to wall-hanger condition. Any suggestions? Where do I begin? I know it’s all worth it…after all, it’s not just a surfboard… it’s a Skip Frye!

I’m willing to spend whatever time and money it takes to get it back to wall-hanger condition. Any suggestions? Where do I begin? I know it’s all worth it…after all, it’s not just a surfboard… it’s a Skip Frye! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So your proud of working the shop on the price but your willing to spend whatever it takes to repair it. Sounds like another kook surfboard deal. Just ride the board the way it is. It’s worth more in origial condition anyway. Fix the dings and get some soul.

Hey thanks. Don’t worry, the shop works everyone every day. I watch it all the time, so thanks for your interest. Be positive, and God bless you.

get satisfaction pay homage to the builder allow yourself the luxury of taking your time prepping the beauty and then take it to Diamond Glassing and get it orig.glassed wow what a project You deserve the satisfaction go wid it

re glass it and surf it till it dies. what the hell are we, the wallhanger generation.

I was trying to get some positive advise from fellow designers of the craft, and ended up getting a bunch of negative BS from people who are afraid to even leave their names. They sit at home thinking of ways to be negative instead of trying to be Christian about it and help out the people who are really serious about this forum. If you can’t use it for what it was intended, then by all means, don’t use it. God Bless, David Falkenau San Diego, CA P.S. - Stan, if you are reading this, how can I purchase some of your hand shaping tools, calipers, and plexiglass square with the 30, 40, 60 angles and the 12" center and 12" out rule? I was really digging on them at Skip’s today and he seemed pretty stoked with them.