Hole saws.....

There are two types of hole saws available at my local Home Depot. One is of the saw tooth type and the other is of the grinding wheel type. Which one of the two would be a better choice in going through fiberglass, for setting fin and leash plugs ??? Thanx !!!

You don’t want the grinding wheel… well, not for this anyway. Get the hole saw, better yet, get a set… just make sure it has the 1 1/8” saw in it. You can use 1 ¼” for FCS, but the closer tolerance is nicer (so long as you drill in the right place).

I highly recommend spending the extra cash on the type with the removable pilot bit. So you can do the “H pattern” without compromising the deck lamination. If you have the cash, and think you’ll be doing a fair amount of FCS, the 1 1/8” bore bit is money well spent, though you can make due without it.

Foresner (sp?) bits work much better than hole saws. Get them at Home Depot.

Forstner bits, yeah. Good stuff, though hole saws are Real Nice for getting old and rimwracked FCS plugs out without too much damage.

The Forstner bits make a nice flat bottomed hole without a pilot drill poking through the other side. Here’s a 1 1/8" version-

The inexpensive high speed steel ones work just fine, no need to go with the more expensive carbide or TIN coated flavors. Use with a slow-turning drill.

hope that’s of use

doc…

Yea… that’s the thing. Those tear through fiberglass ok? I would imagine that they do ‘tear’ it up pretty good - sounds a little messy. I usually use my hole saw to get through the glass, pry it out with a screwdriver, then use the Forstner. I ground the ‘pilot’ off mine anyway, so I need to start with something.

Which ever bit you use, cut a hole in a piece of thin plywood to use as a guide. I haven’t done many FCS plugs but found out the hard way (using a hole saw instead of the FCS jig) that the pilot hole can go out of round leading to some out of control spinning of the hole saw bit. A plywood guide taped or clamped to the board will help keep the hole saw bit where it belongs. I also use a round wire brush attachment to get down to the deck glass for the deck to bottom connection. I thought I’d be slick and use epoxy when installing a set of plugs and things started getting really hot(!) I got some ice cubes and rubbed against the deck which appeared to be starting to swell from the heat. When it cooled, I had some depressions at the plug locations but I’m over it. Sheesh, it’s always something… use poly and don’t mix too hot.

That’s nothing. The first time i instaled fcs i kicked the reisn way to hot and the plugs started to smoke and it made the little screws inside all weird .

A saw tooth hole saw has never failed me when making holes for FCS.

Dont force it, let the tool do the work.

I also use a plywood hole jig but I also place a sheet of FRICTION MAT

between the board and jig and just hold it tight with one hand when

drilling.

Friction mat has many uses…when that stuff first came out in industry

it costs about $12 for one sqft sheet…now you can buy a long roll in

home depot for $5!

Quote:

A saw tooth hole saw has never failed me when making holes for FCS.

Dont force it, let the tool do the work.

I also use a plywood hole jig but I also place a sheet of FRICTION MAT

between the board and jig and just hold it tight with one hand when

drilling.

Friction mat has many uses…when that stuff first came out in industry

it costs about $12 for one sqft sheet…now you can buy a long roll in

home depot for $5!

Just checked the home home depot website and i cant fint that friction mat stuff.

HD sells it in the flooring section - its used under small carpets to keep them

from sliding around. The stuff is sold everywhere now…Target, Wal-mart (I dont

shope there) etc etc.

Sometimes sold as shelf liners. Its very common.

Quote:

That’s nothing. The first time i instaled fcs i kicked the reisn way to hot and the plugs started to smoke and it made the little screws inside all weird .

…yeah, same here. Spit the plugs right out of the hole.