hws question

Hi Juho,

Just took a look at the photo gallery, looks like nice progress, very impressive. Are you planning on using a sealer coat on the outside of your board if not glassing it? Has anyone else had any long term success without adding glass to the boards at all?

Here’s a general weight question I’ve been mulling over the past couple of days. For those who are using Paul Jensen’s general method, have you ever omitted the glass on the inside of the board? It seems like this would save quite a bit of weight.

I’m in the planning stages for a hollow longboard for this summer, and just thought I’d throw that out there.

Pat

Hi Pat,

for board number one the insides have been sealed with a 1 komp poly-urethane boat varnish. The outside will be primed with some sort of clear primer made by Hempel ( I forget the name…) and then some 7-10+ layers of a marine varnish called “Le Tonkinois” . I Dont know how long term of a product it is and whether it’ll work even the one summer…but the local wooden boat builders swear by it and its supposed to be the best product out there as compared to its toxicity… ie. almost a non toxic product (shrug dont know, but might know more in a year or so)

Being a varnish, I expect to have to sand the bugger down each fall and re-coat it… thats what one has to do when playing around with bits of wood in water without the protective barrier of glass. I’m ok with it. A matter of attitude I suspect. Just about all wooden boatbuilders, and owners have this part of the hobby waiting around the corner.

Board number 2 I will let the school paint department play around with… My only requirements are :

A. finish can withstand immersion in saltwater

B. I wont get arrested because of something that is painted on the board.

Board number 3 inside will be sealed as in board number 1 , still open for ideas for the outside. either the the same poly-urethene marine varnish on the outside or then epoxy the bugger…?

My understanding is that glassed boards are less hassle and less worries. non-glassed even when proeprly done will require the annual maintenánce service… which is always a bummer. Also I will have to watch out for dings with a psychoticly manic …paranoia nearing attitude… :wink: