Hydrodynamics Part(s) I through IV

Spuuut,

You might improve your analysis if you investigate the phrase “all else being equal”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceteris_paribus

As for the rest of your post, it’s all nonsense, I have done plenty of gps readings and they are consistent, get over it

:slight_smile:

I just checked the owners manual of my wifes Garmin Forerunner 305. Here is what is says about the sample rate:

“You can also record data every second. Doing so creates the most accurate record possible of your activity. However, with this setting, the Forerunner can only record up to 3.5 hours of detailed data.”

That’s cool!

I think that by showing a time series of your speed at one second intervals will put this argument to rest. I’m still trying to convince my wife to let me borrow her unit for going surfing. If I’m able to get some results then I’ll post the results.

I’m thinking that the highest speeds wrt the ground will be at a point break like Rincon.

Right on, looking forward to it !

For track recording we have been using a 10 metre interval instead of a time interval. . . that’s because a time interval uses up memory space even when sitting out the back waiting for a set, whereas a distance interval only records a track point every time the surfer moves (in this case) ten metres. … . . the Gecko 201 doesn’t have enough memory for a long session at a 1 second interval because it only has 700 track points ( less than 12 minutes). . . . on a ten metre setting it can go 7km, which is usually long enough.

Comparing the two settings, the one second interval is equivalent to a 10 metre interval at a speed of 10 mps or approximately 20 mph. . . . . at 40 mph a 20 metre interval is the equivalent.

Recently we have just been using the ‘max speed’ doppler based feature, it’s accurate but doesn’t record a track. . . that’s what James Sowell, Bill Barnfield and Terry Hendricks have been doing as far as I know, will try and get a track next time, it’s fun to analyse. . . . . . my bet is that the sceptics try to bulldoze the peaks in the track graphs down to a level plain, I can just see it !

Hey Roy, I’m thinking you are either a master marketer or a complete f//ken looney. Just contemplate for a moment, whoever has the right equipment to measure speeds, do you possibly imagine that you are going twice the speed of Laird at Jaws? For that matter twice the speed of the average young ripper? This could be your best yet, no doubt. I said before you had support on this site, but you make it hard mate, H.

Mr Harris, it seems to me that your analysis of the subject is based entirely on social factors, and these are of course ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT

Let me explain how it works:

I design boards for speed, others design boards for turns and tricks.

The result is that I go faster.

Got it ?

PS What on earth led you to the conclusion that I am claiming to be going twice as fast as as Laird at Jaws? Makes me wonder where you are coming from, I didn’t say that . . . . we DON"T KNOW how fast Laird is going, remember ??