I DID IT! On the Fly Planer Shoe adjustment for CHEAP!!

The P20SB is the older version but this handle will work with virtually all the planers desired to be modified. I have a Makita K0800 with this mod as well. Will work with the Bosch and both new and older versions of the Hitachis.

You actually have to drill a hole in the bottom of the shoe and tap the old threadded pin out (exactlly what Clark Foam did for there mods). My virgin Hitachi is going to be here today and I am going to work all weekend to make videos of the process. Both dismantling and reassembling the new handle I came up.

Yes show us how.  I would thimk the stem gets the knob and the shoe is Epoxied to the bottom of the stem.  If you have ever had an Hitachi apart the method for that attachment can be worked out once you’ve seen how the stock knob is attached to the shoe.   The Clark’s are Epoxied together.  Propane torchin’  bitch to get apart…  Lowel

Save a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and buy a Skil.  Even if you do only afew boards a year.  Pickin’ up a beauty from Pete this weekend.   I know guys.  It’s a Sways DIY challenge.  Lowel 

Okay Guys, I did some more searching and tinkering and this is what I have done so far. In the pic is a better suitable stem so take note of the part number. The new stem has a more coarse thread as well as having just a touch of play or slop in it so if one does not epoxy it perfect in the shoe it will be less of an issue. Also I came up with a way to make a handle that looks almost to a T like the Clark mods handle. Now the new stem is a bit more expensive than the 1st one I posted a pic of. This one is $16.99 No biggie…

Exactly!  The stem gets the handle and the cylinder / nut will be cut down to size and epoxied in the shoe after the stock bolt has been drilled out from the bottom of the shoe and tapped out.

Wow, that handle is looking very good! Can’t wait to see the shoe mod.

Very good stuff Newleaf! Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Seeing how nice your crafted PVC knob looks brought me roundabout thinking of the resin swirl ones from Mr. Mahady:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/skil-100-gear-removal for the writeup on resin swirl planer knobs.

+2 on swirl.

keenjob !

Ok guys this is the 1st video of the series. Now this is only the handle of the depth adjustment but take a look.

Also I just got my virgin P20SBK today so I will be working all night on the shoe and thread mechanism. STAY TUNED!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPj78R5WqLo&feature=youtu.be//

Very stoked on this! Thank you for sharing, you’re saving me a small fortune.

Oh yeah.  Is there a point to that herbie??

yeah, I’ll try this stuff -thanks MUCH!

Also, ty for the info about my Hitachi. Fyi - I bought it new at sears.com around 3 yrs ago…it’s still new but used on a board…these mow foam sweet! I’m a bit upset I sold my Makita yrs back - a aqua blue unit which was same size as a Hitachi. I geuss I’ll get the internals before I take it apart. I don’t care about my handle, or the shoe…im careful planing, but bearings and fly mods are needed! T c

Bravo.  Well done.  When the guy who did the Clarks back in the day sees this:  He’s gonna have a brain fart and say OMG!

Newleaf - your vid is excellent! I watched part of it, and I believe I can do it! It’s far from easy tho…But it’s real cool how you explain things step-by-step in a VERY detailed explanation. Cheers!:slight_smile:

Question when you are on break: about the ‘LOCK COLLAR’ from motion industries. Is there a certain size/part #? Would any other stores carry a similar part? Fyi I have used McMaster carr, O’Reilly auto parts, napa auto parts, ace hardware etc… I’m wondering if I could find the lock collar there?

Also, I got two part epoxy that’s strong as a weld almost! I’m wondering if I could use it for the assemblies? Will I need a drill press? Or can I drill w reg hand held drill? If not, harbor freight has a super drill press for a deal! Well, during sales. J

Newleaf - your vid is excellent! I watched part of it, and I believe I can do it! It’s far from easy tho…But it’s real cool how you explain things step-by-step in detail. Cheers!:slight_smile:

Question when you are on break: about the ‘LOCK COLLAR’ from motion industries. Is there a certain size/part #? Would any other stores carry a similar part? Fyi I have used McMaster carr, O’Reilly auto parts, napa auto parts, ace hardware etc… I’m wondering if I could find the lock collar there?

Also, I got two part epoxy that’s strong as a weld almost! I’m wondering if I could use it for the assemblies? Will I need a drill press? Or can I drill w reg hand held drill? If not, harbor freight has a super drill press for a deal! Well, during sales.t ia -Jim

HA HA!!! I have been thinking this same thing the entire time… Clark is gonna be like “That @$$hole” All that money on tooling and cnc-ing they may have spent was really unnessecary.

Thanks shapaholic. First the part number on the lock collar is C-043. I dont know the exact size but it was the smallest one in stock at Motion Industries. Anyone can call them and ask the dimensions of that part number. Also I know that Fastenal can order it but not in stock. I dont know if an auto parts store has it or not.

As far as the epoxy, you will need that to set the threads into the bottom of the shoe but it might be overkill for the handle, It is possible to do the handle with epoxy just be carefull not to get it into the set screw of the lock collar.

Lastly, I dont use a drill press, just a hand drill.

OK I worked all day and  3 of the 4 videos are up on Youtube now. The 4th one is uploading as we speak. If you guys don’t mind I am gonna post the videos in a new thread in the General Disscusion area. Really excited because the modification works awesome.