I held a surf burger!!!

Today at the Surf Expo here in Orlando Nev and the crew were there and I actually touched and held a some surfburgers! They had a longboard there (not sure how long it was exactly) that weighed less than any of my shortboards. It was ridiculous. I talked to Nev and he himself said that the boards weren’t “indestuctable” but that they were the “strongest and lightest” boards on the market. Didn’t talk to Bert or anybody because they appeared to be busy but I’ll stop by there again tomorrow. Very cool stuff.

Very cool! I felt that I understood so much more after I saw the Sunovas (now Surfburgers) in person. Any other interesting stuff going on at the expo. Greg had mentioned that it was going to be a very big deal.

Quote:

Very cool! I felt that I understood so much more after I saw the Sunovas (now Surfburgers) in person. Any other interesting stuff going on at the expo. Greg had mentioned that it was going to be a very big deal.

Is there any point in asking what it is that you have learned ? . . . . or is it impossible to describe, more of a vibe thing?

:slight_smile:

Roy, I just gotta say…

Last time around, I thought these comments were a sure sign of a smartass.

This time around, I get the whole feral/sarcastic/thumbing-your-nose-at-convention deal, and I look forward to your posts as much as anyone elses’ on the entire board.

Thanks Benny, Just born to be an iconoclast I suppose.

I’m actually wondering about the Sunovas, like what is it that DanB and Adamus were experiencing by touching the boards ? At first it seems like unlikely ‘mumbo jumbo’, but maybe it isn’t ? Is it a matter of feeling the weight (or lack of weight) or maybe the thinness, or is it just the buzz of meeting the crew ? Perhaps the boards have their own aura, a vibration of some sort ?

I dunno. To me, talking to Nev (the crazy australian) and actually feeling the boards was nice and all but I haven’t ridden one. They seemed rather thin. I know there is a difference in dimensions when doing this kind of stuff but I haven’t put one in the water so really, holding one doesn’t mean much. To make a board thats really light and probably durable as well js one thing but how does it surf? I trust that they have done their homework and they surf well but at this point its just that… trust. The true test is when this technology is available to the public at large and regular people start riding them. But, they looked and felt great and I look forward to looking at them more tomorrow (actually today).

The third time I was picking up Bert’s personal board that he just fixed, My hand was feeling the vibration, and I heard it, sound was coming out of the board. I picked it up and the sound stopped. I thought Bert put a radio in there and I was feeling for the heavy part of the board, trying to find a heavy spot of the board, the weighted part with the speakers magnet while holding it close to my ear. I shook it, it shook back, the other way. I had to set it down, fast, leave the scene, get the hell out, my mind was racing, go home, eat something, I was starving, hadn’t eaten all day, just drank two beers on an empty stomach. Drink the last sip, the carbs and alcohal took the edge off, my nerves calmed. The board was somehow carrying the sound from the music in the distance thru the floor and wall while touching those surfaces.

The rail stringers were smaller than I thought. The longerboard Sunova was lighter than I imagined, and the spring back felt different than I thought it would feel. When deck down bottoms up, I stepped my foot on Berts longerboard, I thought it would resist more. It resisted some, then gave way easy and when I took my foot off fast the board bounced right back real fast. I didn’t step on the 7’ 4" maybe tomorrow.

Wooden boards do that , I was on the lawn the other day holding my 9’3" when a Harley davidson blasted past, when the revs reached a certain level the whole board started resonating in sympathy with the engine. I suppose that the frequency at which the board resonates depends upon size and shape, Silly might know a bit about that.

PS Where’s Bert? He ought to be keeping us informed !

Bert’s there, I talked to him after Nev, he said he likes the board even better after fixing it. The expo was wrapping up for the day, so not as many people, easy to talk to him. Lots of stoke.

Quote:

Thanks Benny, Just born to be an iconoclast I suppose.

I’m actually wondering about the Sunovas, like what is it that DanB and Adamus were experiencing by touching the boards ? At first it seems like unlikely ‘mumbo jumbo’, but maybe it isn’t ? Is it a matter of feeling the weight (or lack of weight) or maybe the thinness, or is it just the buzz of meeting the crew ? Perhaps the boards have their own aura, a vibration of some sort ?

everytime I see one here in west oz , I bail up the owner and ask to check it out .

I’m still intact … I haven’t levitated , or felt the earth move , or talked in tongues or anything , yet .

But …

they do “look nice” , and have a different ‘feel’ to them than “normal” foam and fibreglass shortboards . Not surprisingly .

[I have only ridden the longboard version , as that is mainly what I have seen here in West Australia , so far . Hopefully , that will soon change ? ]

Gotta say , I REALLY liked the finish and strength of Sabs’ boards , hope I get to have a go on one , before you go back to EN ZED , mate !

cheers !

ben

Quote:

Is there any point in asking what it is that you have learned ? . . . . or is it impossible to describe, more of a vibe thing?

That a fair question - I don’t buy into the vibe thing much. I was able to get a grasp on a lot of different construction techniques and how they fit together. I spent a lot of time looking at how things were joined together and and what construction techniques would create what I saw. I saw that the flex Bert was talking about was a real thing that could be measured (not some microscopic change that couldn’t possibly effect the board). By looking at the finished glass I realized that I was using way to much resin. I completely re-evaluated what the rail should look like. The list goes on…

ypu may have held it but did you jump up and down on it like a trampoline?

Quote:

The rail stringers were smaller than I thought. The longerboard Sunova was lighter than I imagined, and the spring back felt different than I thought it would feel. When deck down bottoms up, I stepped my foot on Berts longerboard, I thought it would resist more. It resisted some, then gave way easy and when I took my foot off fast the board bounced right back real fast.

I read this after I did my last post, but I wanted to add that this is a good description of what I’m talking about. Its whats not being conveyed by the standing on the board pictures. It is not what you would expect.

Quote:

ypu may have held it but did you jump up and down on it like a trampoline?

Both my son and myself at the same time. They are very tough but thats not what was important to me. I take care of my boards and they last as long as I wish. Why I think its such a big deal is because they move easily enough to actually do something. Before I saw his boards I didn’t think that I could generate enough power in the water to make the boards bend. What impressed me was when my 40 lb son jumped on the board by himself and it bent to the ground. I knew that I could generate at least that much power. Then I tried to bend the board by putting the tail in the sand, my knee in the middle, and pulling on the nose - it would not bend. The board is stiff under light loads, but but starts flexing under higher loads. This is why I think the horizontal stringer becomes important. I imagine that they are something like a baton on a sail. I originally only thought that I would be able to bend the board 1/2" or so. I couldn’t see how this could give you any springback, but with the amount that I now think the board bends in the water it could amount to something. Imagine the difference between hitting a pencil against your arm from 1/2" (you would hardly feel it) compared to bending it back couple of inches (it would hurt).

I too held a burger at the Expo. I still get charged up over new toys. One minor point is the decks on the new Surfburgers. Don’t know what they are, but they are not balsa. Colored, and fiber glassed. Down to the rail. The deck sloped down to the rail and the balsn on the rail was surprizingly thin, perhaps a 1/2 or so. The bottoms are balsa, though. Like the others said, super light, very flexible, and, as you would expect, well crafted. And everyone had a vent, so I assume the Surfburgers were 1 pound foam. The vent was about 16 inches back from the nose. When I caught up with Bert, I think the time zone thing was kicking in for him and I decided not to pepper him with the 1000 questions I had saved up.

One last point. We all here on Sways have some appreciation for what Bert has done. Sadly, I think most of the lookers there did not. Compared to the major brands, and all the glitz and hype, I think Nev was sort of out marketed. I wonder if Surf Expo is really the forum for presenting something as advanced as the Burger. The whole scene was just so… so unclean. I know a bit about what goes on behind the booth walls at the major clothing marketers and it is not pretty.

Yeh, I’m pretty sure that Bert has moved away from the balsa (except on the rails) on the Nev boards. I’m pretty sure that its corecel. The balsa is less consitant and more work. I bet that balsa resurfaces when they move into custom boards (just guessing).

Quote:

I too held a burger at the Expo. I still get charged up over new toys. One minor point is the decks on the new Surfburgers. Don’t know what they are, but they are not balsa. Colored, and fiber glassed. Down to the rail. The deck sloped down to the rail and the balsn on the rail was surprizingly thin, perhaps a 1/2 or so. The bottoms are balsa, though. Like the others said, super light, very flexible, and, as you would expect, well crafted. And everyone had a vent, so I assume the Surfburgers were 1 pound foam. The vent was about 16 inches back from the nose. When I caught up with Bert, I think the time zone thing was kicking in for him and I decided not to pepper him with the 1000 questions I had saved up.

One last point. We all here on Sways have some appreciation for what Bert has done. Sadly, I think most of the lookers there did not. Compared to the major brands, and all the glitz and hype, I think Nev was sort of out marketed. I wonder if Surf Expo is really the forum for presenting something as advanced as the Burger. The whole scene was just so… so unclean. I know a bit about what goes on behind the booth walls at the major clothing marketers and it is not pretty.

Been to 3 ASR shows in the mid 90s…it always seemed like a circus to me.