Identify this Board

Hello;

I recently came into possesion of this board which I have been told was built using the Tom Blake Kook Box/Board plans which were published in Popular Mechanics back in the day.  The board measures 10 feet in length and appears to have been made of Mahogany Plywood.  It is very well constructed and I have done some patching of the cracks and things that have appeared over the years, and it is seaworthy and rides like a Cadillac.  The previous owner dates it at 1950 +/-.  Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thank you.

More pics

Looks like a nice “kook box” but that’s not the Tom Blake PM template.

It looks like this

**I'm gonna guess here, the photos show what I'll assume is the deck, the "ribbing" is interesting, and the ever present "drain plug" for hollow boards. Also the construction appears to be mostly plywood. From my experience water proof plywood could put you into the 30's, however the template is unlike any of the "kook boxes" or anything else I 've seen and many of them were built by individuals as a "project" many Blake style plans where prevalent. So it would be hard to say who or what exactly what this board is.**

That’s way before my time of course, and I’m only guessing - 

Could it not be from the Tom Blake plans pictured but adjusted,  with the rounded nose section and the pointed tail just lopped off? Shortboard revolution by accident, from a guy who was three feet short on lumber! 

JD

Old School Paddleboards came in many shapes and sizes.

A buddy and I did the install of this collection a couple years ago at the Quicksilver HQ in HB.

Quite a variety.

Notice the window in the red one.

Thanks for your input(s) on this board.  I also ran across someone who also said that it may be closer to the 1930s because of the design and materials, and may even be a pre-fin surfboard because of the squared-off back.  I guess that it’s a moot point, because it floats and will move when propelled by a wave.  I would love to hold on to it, but with a son in college it will probably have to go.  Any thoughts on whether it should be sold “as-is” as a restoration project for someone to tackle for their own design?  I’ve continued to do work on it since the pictures and it would be nearly ready for prepping for a finish.

By doing that, you have removed some of the value. Old gear should be left as is if you actually want to get the most money out of it.

Because you have no provenance for the board, it has no significant value; it’s only worth what someone will be willing to pay for a no name kookbox.

Find a kook with money who needs a kookbox

FWIW I am a docent and preparator at the Surfing Heritage and Culture Center museum.

Good Luck.

Thanks “Uncle”.  I was hoping to hold on to it, which I may still do, and it was a sin in the condition I found it.  I’m actually a “Guitar Guy”, so I know that it’s a no-no to fiddle around with it too much.  Had it been a commercially produced board I would have left it alone, even with that color blue!  Thanks again!