I'm building a 6'4'' Hollow Core Cardboard Fish

Keithmelville,

yes, I explained my intended purpose for the material.

Resin Reasearch 2000 epoxy.  4oz S cloth, 6oz regular cloth, and another 4oz S-cloth.  Brad from Foam-EZ was a big help getting my materials to the Marshall Islands.  Thanks for helpign me out, and the guys over at Lokbox fins are going to help give direction on applying my fin boxes.  Twin Keels!

The top layer of glass going on.  Its not a pleasant as the bottom.  I hit a few problems doing my laps.  First time ever, adapt and overcome.   Im very, very pleased with the bottom results.  It went on very smooth, the monokote made it easy to pour resin, and use a squeegy…or in my case a laminated piece of paper.

I guess I should have mentioned… this is my first board build, ever.  MOTIVATED!!!

How bout my glassing table!  Pretty rough!

If I were to nail any part of this project, the bottom was it.  I can think of several things I might have done different, going back on it now.   But, I am very happy with it at the moment.  This is fun!

The end result of the glassing is still frosted.  Glass is just going to do that.  It will probably clear up some when I do my gloss coat.

The nose looks great, only bit of resin drip from the open rails bled into it.  (bottom left).  Still not bad.

The top deck has one more layer of glass to add on.  I wanted to show what it looks like before.  Its ugly, a little off color.  That will even out as I apply more glass, and sand smooth.

Nick,  Looks good. I think it might be better with clear to do cut laps instead of free laps. Can you she the free laps.? What do you think?

very cool… I appreciate all the pics, this is why i come here

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m laffing and hooting out loud–this is the very sht. Balls to the wall on his first board, stoked, stocked with pics, looking great, well-done, esoteric, but totally FUNctional looking… !!  Huge Props. 

Man that carbon bicuit thread and now this…

And if you have some, I think we’d all like some pics of the scapes around your home island too!

Wood-0:

"Nick,  Looks good. I think it might be better with clear to do cut laps instead of free laps. Can you she the free laps.? What do you think?"

Never thought of it!  I bet board #2, if or when I do one comes out shining!  If the lam holds up, I will try this monokote on the deck again.

Janklow:

"I don't know about anyone else but I'm laffing and hooting out loud--this is the very sht. Balls to the wall on his first board, stoked, stocked with pics, looking great, well-done, esoteric, but totally FUNctional looking... !!  Huge Props. 

Man that carbon bicuit thread and now this...

And if you have some, I think we'd all like some pics of the scapes around your home island too!"

Thanks for the words!  We are a special inspiring few, on SWAYS!  I appreciate everyones effort in sharing thier craft. 

Ask and ye shall receive!  These are a few shots from the Kwajalein Atoll, home.

I am really rooting for you.  Great thread.  Great build.  Call with questions.  you know you have only to ask.

Wow, I'm so stoked to find this thread!  I actually thought about doing the exact same thing - even emailed Mono-Kote to ask if epoxy resin would bond to it, but they never responded.  Then I thought about glassing over silkspan tissue.  Love to know how this turns out!  And how about weight - what do you anticipate the final weight to be?

Huck-

The silk tissue would probably be a better application.  I went over it in my mind while doing the build.  So, run with it if you can.  Sheldrake emailed me and said the S-glass made a few of his first generation boards come out frostier.  So, regular glass is the way to go for clarity. Oh well...

Just watch out with the Silk, I think they apply a coating of some sort of material on it to keep fuel from destrying it.  Model airplanes are filthy in that respect.

Today-

I hit a snag...well a snag for a new guy.  I got working on the glass today on the top of the board.  I left off a few days ago with only one layer on the top of the board.  Its gummy, and I worked the rough rails with a razor knife which did the job.  Then hit a few high spots on the nose area of the deck with a dremel tool.  It burned through the glass and left a darker epoxy around the area. Sort of yellowish and looks like it would contaminate the next coat.   No pictures of this fiasco, but I started to cut through the yellowish gummy area with a razor knife then stuck some resin cure on that and plan on sanding it smooth so I can get a clean even spot to lay up the next few coats of glass. 

Any input? 

Yep on the silk - I even thought about model airplane dope first, then glass, so it doesn't shrink when it gets wet from the resin.  Might get an interesting moire pattern from the two weaves.  Just used s-glass on my hws, and found it doesn't wet out as clear as regular glass, so I guess Sheldrake is right about that!  Bummer about the booger on the glass.  I'm new to epoxy, and don't like the slow dry-time.  I glassed my board this morning, and couldn't sand until night time.  Didn't like the wait!  I'm hoping to do a glass-over-frame board soon (but not a sheldrake), but a little skeered of glassing!  That's why I thought of silk or silkspan or monokote.  I'd love to do a sheldrake with solid wood rails.  I wonder about ding repair on them sheldrake boards!  Man they do look cool 'tho!

straight outs, my local spot on Kwajalein

Ninjei on a small day, through blue blockers!

A surfshack.  More of a party spot for locals on Roi Namur Island.  The beach provides zero waves, inside the lagoon.

Jungle on Roi Naumur

Coconut palm tree trunks that I might end up salvaging the timber from to create a board.  In my mind it sounds do able.

Sheldrake makes it sound like minor ding repair is not a problem, but im being just a little heavier on the glass to be safe.  I surf around sharp reef.

So, your project; 6'8'' HWS fish...is a perfect frame up construction.  You are doing what I planned on doing for my 4th board.  I will need to pick your brain at another time.  It looks excellent!  many props. 

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/my-first-hws-68-retro-fish

To see Hucks fish. 

Good luck on the finish.  I agree cutlap is the way to go.  Here's the Sheldrake Fish my son and I just finished.....

Aside from the bottom, which is near perfect as it can get for one of these, the top is sub-par.  I have bubbles or air pockets and its just something I have to get over.  I have stalled the project for the time being, until my vents arrive and I can figure out how to anchor them safely.  That and the lokbox system I will install.

Please post some shots of you fish build Shrunkenhead.