info on eastern surfboards ???

Hey roach,

Nice stick.

I remember the technique on the fins of that type. A lot would be made in one batch (10 - 20). A light would be used to eradicate the pin air.

We would laminate several layers of woven roving and heavy cloth on a flat surface, about a half-inch thick, then when it had gelled good but still a bit soft, mark a pattern, then razor knife it a bit. Then when fairly hard, jig saw them out. I don’t remember using that process in Neptune.

The sander did the “art work” to make it hydrodynamic (tapering, rounding). Grubbs was a master.

As glasser we had to be careful when applying the rope to the area where the fin was attached, because it was a place pin air tried to hide from you.

That board might have been made in San Diego instead of Neptune … will keep thinking.

Randy

[quote="$1"]

1966 is about right, to me. I'm sure some of the guys who worked for Challenger Eastern will have a better idea. I don't recall a CE dealer on the Cape. There was a shop on N Main St in Providence around that time that carried the CE brand. It was actually a dive shop. The board might have been purchased there.

The condition is quite remarkable. I'm lovin it.
I would venture to guess that if you measure where the line of logos is, it will be just about 29 inches from the tip of the nose. Measure it, and report back. I'll then tell you why I guessed at that number.

[/quote]

SammyA, I made that measurement and it was 17" from the tip of the nose to the centerline of the CES lam.  The board was used at the time the guy got it on the Cape, so the Providence shop you mentioned could be where she was bought new.  Thanks for the info!

[quote="$1"]

Hey roach,

Nice stick.

I remember the technique on the fins of that type. A lot would be made in one batch (10 - 20). A light would be used to eradicate the pin air.

We would laminate several layers of woven roving and heavy cloth on a flat surface, about a half-inch thick, then when it had gelled good but still a bit soft, mark a pattern, then razor knife it a bit. Then when fairly hard, jig saw them out. I don't remember using that process in Neptune.

The sander did the "art work" to make it hydrodynamic (tapering, rounding). Grubbs was a master.

As glasser we had to be careful when applying the rope to the area where the fin was attached, because it was a place pin air tried to hide from you.

That board might have been made in San Diego instead of Neptune ... will keep thinking.

Randy

[/quote]

Randy, thanks for the skinny on the fin.  Looked to be 4 or 5 layers laminated together to make up this fin.  Gives me that much more respect for the glassers and sanders in their craft.  Very interesting.  If you think this one is nice, my buddy just scored one a couple of weeks back that was stored indoors and not ridden for 35 plus years! Practically looks show room new. Wedge stringer with gray center high density foam... it's amazing.  Got to get him to post some pics.

Here are some pics of my Challenger Eastern... looks like the serial number is 65516 528... she is 9'10" x 23 x 3-1/2".  Love this thing.

Needed to add this pic - i love this fin!  Looks black but is a dark blue or green - love the halo effect!

Roach - your board is TITS!  I have fin envy brother!

B

This has been my favorite thread all year.  And I'm a west coast guy.  Phillips anecdotes are the best, as usual.  My first new surfboard was a Challenger I got for Christmas in 74 or so.  7-2 rounded pin from the MB-PB shop.  I wonder who shaped it?  The thing worked great in thumping Baja Norte beach breaks. Mike

Rooster/Mike ; Did Bobby " Challenger ?" Thomas have a shop in MB/PB in 74’ ?? My brother Willy has always told me that he never did anything with Challenger except to hype his own ego with it . 

Frank McCleary

Frank,

Were any Challenger-Eastern boards made in Mission Beach before a factory was set up in New Jersey?

(I am trying to figure out where the board roach is displaying upthread was made.)

Randy

That particular center stick was the type used on the Nu’uhiwa light weights, so I would say '67, Tinker was firmly opposed to concave noses and felt contests should be divided into the 17" and under and the 18" and over catagories.

I cannot be absolutely certain, but I think the idea of Challenger Easterns was one of the reasons for the move to the East Coast, it’s unlikely any were done in Sab Diego.

As for the boards purchase on the Cape, Dave Summers had a shop in Nanatasket, Mass, sold a lot of boards, only natural for one to wind up on the Cape, I know of several on my boards from that era that are in Monument Beach on the Cape.

In the winter, Tinker would break out all the rail trimming from the past years glassing, we would cut them all to 30 " and “shingle” them on a layer of 1-1/2oz. mat.

After a tower of them had been assembled, it was off to the lay-up tables, a sheet of plate glass with a small flourersent fixture under it. Tinker had one layer of 10 oz. taped along one edge to the table, lay out a mat and scrap, pull over the 10 oz. and wet out.

Then a sheet on visquene was layed over than and rolled with a rolling pin, with the light under it, you could see every single air bubble creep out past the edge and be gone forever, the 10 oz. was then peeled back and another layer of mat and scrap, repeat until 7 layers ahd been applied, the 15 psi of atmospheric pressure kept the air from creeping back in. When the sheets were off, peel the visquene and the result was a fiber glass fin that was nearly as clean as molded plastic, never any pin air.

Bahne used the same technique for a while, but scrapped it for faster lay-up times, they have an air problem to this day

[quote="$1"]

This has been my favorite thread all year.  And I'm a west coast guy.  Phillips anecdotes are the best, as usual.  My first new surfboard was a Challenger I got for Christmas in 74 or so.  7-2 rounded pin from the MB-PB shop.  I wonder who shaped it?  The thing worked great in thumping Baja Norte beach breaks. Mike

[/quote]

Could not agree more Rooster... this thread has been a treat so far!

B

There was also a surf shop in Point Judith RI, think it was just called Point Judith Surf Shop.  Anyway, I bought a Challenger there @ 1975, so I know they were selling Challengers also.  I used to surf the cape alot also, Nauset Surf shop was all there was that I rememebr and I dont remember them having Challengers at that time. 

My first board was a CE bought from Kona Surf Shop in Wildwood. At the time, the shop was on Atlantic Avenue, and sold bikes and skateboards only. Then Mike and Tony started carrying surfboards, and moved the shop to where it is now, on New Jersey Avenue?

If Jim is correct that none were made in California, which could be correct, then the first boards ever were made in a garage that Russ Lamb and his partner told us about, and Tinker got for us.

I glossed the boards, Dorsey glassed then I think, of course Tinker shaped, and Ernie would have sanded I think. We sold them in Russ and Jim’s shop on Belmar’s street parallel with the beach.

It was only a short while (Woodstock happened while we were in that damn garage) we were there, as Tinker negotiated for the 9th Avenue factory in Neptune.

So, roach, if the board was not made at Neptune (9th ave) it was made in the very first ever CE east coast factory which was a temporary garage.

But note this: we maintained a strict adherence to quality no matter where we were. That came first absolutely because our souls demanded it … it was like our only reason for existing … make damn good surfboards … and truth be told … Tinker taught us that.

Will kick it around some more so you know for sure.

Thanks Jim (the genious) and Frank for the help.

Randy

(Nostalgia, it’s not just for breakfast anymore) …

Throughout this thread, i have seen at least 3 different lams for the CES boards... the triangle shape, the band that goes across the whole board and the single version as on my board above... do these different lams reveal anything about who shaped / glassed or where / when the boards were made.  On my board, the lam at the nose on the bottom is upside down (reads correctly if standing at the nose and reading vs. the tail).... also, does anyone have any insight on the serial numbers?  I appologize for the loaded question here... i am getting into this whole thing like it is Raiders of the Lost Ark!  It is all Roach's fault!!!  :)

Thanks guys! 

B

Randy, SammyA, Jim and all the rest,

Thanks for stoking this thread with accounts, memories, trials and tribulations of Challenger Eastern Surfboards.  To know that all these talented guys created these boards in our backyard is amazing to me.  I'm actually pissed at myself for not figuring this out much sooner.  I had mentioned earlier that the craftsmanship in Brandon's and my board is first class. Guessing from all your accounts we have Tinker to thank for instilling an impecable attention to detail in the CES crew.   

Hey B , in Raider's of The Lost Ark Indy was faced with a choice of chosing the correct Holy Grail out of dozens of chalices.  He ended up chosing "wisely"  as the old knight templar guarding the grail had stated.  So my friend you HAVE already chosen wisely.

Regarding those lams I believe it was metioned on this thread or another that the glasser's would get creative with the standard CES lam and cut them up to form words or different combos of CES.

Yes. If you look at the different boards pictured in this thread, you will see that all the lams are just variations of the standard three lines of text.

I wrongly guessed that the one with the ‘nose stripe’ lam was placed at 29" from the tip. Reason being, it was standard practice in the mid 60s to put a stripe 1/4 of the board’s length from the nose on a ‘nose rider’ shape. The original noseriding contests had a rule that stated you must be on the front 25% of the board to be considered ‘on the nose’. So, boards like the Bing Nuhhiwa Noserider , and Hobie Noserider adhered to this standard. I figured a 9’8 would have the nose stripe at 29". The board looks like a noserider shape, in the pics.

By 75 Tinker was well on the way of promoting Steel Mill With Mad Dog Vinnie Lopez and Bruce Springstein, surfboards were by then the furthest thing on his mind.

Your Challenger would have been a Bobby Thomas from San Diego.

Ray’s Texaco, on Kingston Rd, about 2 blocks from Town Beach sold Challenger Easterns, this was summer '68 and some of '69, Tinker and I were still grinding the axe, this was his chance to try and cut into my TURF, I had Narragansett captivated, there were no other New England board builders, thusly, not many Challenger Easterns were sold at Ray’s.

Also, this was a time of rapid change in board designs, I know Tinker most likely hated the V-bottom and it showed in the way of his adaptation to the “short” boards, they all looked like little longboards.

This is where I started moving upwards, I could surf the snot out of what I was shaping and could see the machinery at work inside the modern shapes.

Tinker saw it as, boards were selling for 85-90 bucks, music paid a whole hellava lot more, the numbers were gone , more and more people were getting into board building, Tinker pulled the plug on board building, even if he was as good as it gets.

I’d like to be doing what I do with my lable and Inter-Islands to Challenger Easterns, not that Goddamn Tommy Sena Chinese shit, but return the name to the height of it’s glory when Tinker was wiping the snot off my nose and drying behind my ears and every board looked like Roach’s and Winn’s

They also sold Morey-Popes. I know, because that’s where I bought my Sopwith Camel in '69.

During the 60s, there was Nauset, Ken’s and Jasper’s.  Plus a few short-lived shops.