installing a leash plug

I used to use sandpaper p40 and “dremel” the inserst as much I could. Footstraps inserts, finboxes … The nicest the hole and the inserts looked, the worst  adhesion you got.  Even better if you connect the plugs with the deck (same as installing old fcs plugs)

Clever John. Going to try it

Yeah John, on a longboard box a drill thru is bomb proof.  Some manufacturers set their plug in resin only or resin/Q-cel wth no glass over the top.  Over the years I have settled on 1/32 milled fiber with white pigment. I have a gallon of white Gel-coat that I use instead of pigmented resin.  Saves time mixing in pigment.  I use this mix for longboard boxes and leash plugs.  If I use a router my hole doesn’t need much clean up, if any.  If I use a drill and a bit, sometimes I have trouble.  Router is the way to go.  I have set boxes with cloth under;   time consuming and fraught with issues.  Milled fiber is the best of both worlds.

Hi Lowel -

My experience has been that no matter how a box is inserted, the weak link is the edge of the foam/resin seam.  I’ve repaired all kinds of box damage and even the Chinooks with the serrated edges are the same deal - a solid block that is the box and whatever surrounds it, then the foam.  The windsurfer Chinooks that connect to the deck are a different deal - nearly bulletproof.

I’ve taken to the old double stringer trick or routing out ‘mini stringers’ on either side of the box.  And I always cap the whole deal with a layer or two of glass.  Not likely to pull out like what happened to my son’s professionally built gun.  I do see a lot of the double leash plugs and don’t care.  I’ve seen 'em pull out exactly like my son’s.

Yeah “woodies” on either side of the box work.  I’m switching over to The Futures “Strong box” on the next one.  But honestly I only knocked one box out in a lifetime.  Very shallow Kauai reef.  Usually if they crack at the front of the box or along the sides;  they were set with resin only or resin Q-cell.   Repaired a lot of Stewart’s in the 90’s thru 2000.  They were all done that way.  Fast and cheap.