Is now the time for USA manufacturers?

Make way for the Mc Surf Shop. The corporate surf shop is coming. I can see it coming. Kelly might lead the charge on this one. They will be little mini malls for all things surf. Big inventories of “surfer” brands. Must have back to school be cool look like a surfer clothing. All the best boards made by lost, CSI and a few others. Your local shaper will for he most part be locked out. Your production won’t be enough to meet the demands of our 25 shops. We demand a 90 days net. If your Boards don’t sell, you must drop the price so we can unload them at steeper discounts.
Oh and we will have a lock on internet sales. Some kid needs a new wet suit order it off our web page delivered to his or her local “ McShop. “ try it on in the shop if it’s a fit it’s sold if not buy another size shipping is free. While you wait check out our new stomp pads. 7 out of ten Pros use it. Take a look at the new Boards , the Jefferson airship will ad 2.3 feet to your airs ! Best Board ever of doing Flying batwing heal side reverse air. Flip and head dip. It’s a McShop exclusive. Hugo Duff the top rated Surfer from Idaho designed it.

Yes this is the future some privet equity firm is already at work. Loans to the big Board Builders , making deals with all the big clothing companies. Factories across Asia are gearing up. China predicts a shortage of Child labor in 5 years. They plan to stop executing degenerates to make up for the shortage. McShop the only place to buy your surfer life style. We mean it. We have your on line profile if you buy from someone else we will know.

This future is brought to you by unsalted wavepool country clubs combing to a very upper class gated community near you.

It’s obvious that Aus and US have the same surf industry problems…IE cheap imports from Asia … IMO , the best way to deal is to licence your product to a competent manufacturer in another country , therefore creating more business and more new local jobs in that country , and vice versa . I would certainly consider doing it in another country if a competent woodworker was interested…and I would also be interested in manufacturing overseas products in Aus , if I thought the product would get some sales …wood only

Some how i wish I could just wake up and it was all just a dream and I was back in this guy’s era.

Who is he? What did he accomplish? Does he really hold two patents?

For what?

Did he really shape the bulk of Yater Spoons back when???

Where is he n-o-w-?

Paso Robles last I heard. He could shape a better Spoon than Yater himself. Never met him, but rode one of his boards from the early '90’s that I bought at CCS/SLO.

The FCS Fusion boxes I have bought recently were Chinese manufactured. That’s one of many reasons I prefer Futures—USA

What’s really pathetic is the younger crew who probably don’t do more than 100 boards a year giving away boards, selling boards at cost and sponsoring a team of riders. I’m probably over estimating the number of boards done by most of these guys. Up here in Oregon they go around like they were Lost or CI. I inventory and track all the blanks I sell. It’s not hard to put 2 and 2 together. The answer is always the same= Bull Shit.

…hi DS; regarding what you say about to how to s with the customers etc; I have OPPOSITE experience. I live in a place where the customers do not be accostumed to a great treat; not be eductaed to perceive integrity or ethic.

Never had a good experience when I phone called and asked about the board; I mean, the person did not warmed that service; did not like it actually, I guess.

Is all luck and be in the right place; here is not the right place. The example is this guy that you mentioned: Lovelace; he started here (Swaylocks) and now, the other day, I read, that he is one of the shapers that sell more (25 boards per week) do not know if that s true but shows what I try to express.

Other that kind of started in this forum is Mandala; this other guy is a lower profile guy but he shapes (he only shapes) plenty of boards; designs that are totally outdated and that you never see in the water; like McCallum et all but the guys are from California (if they were from Florida or North Carolina nothing would happened)

The thing is that they sell a pose and image to the new hipsters and it s work; due to they move in groups; where each guy are good in something media oriented, so between all they can make a great selling product (image, design, video; clothes; fashion, marketing; associated activities; right contacts; fine glassers; right pose and very good surfers among money)

I do not have instagram but you can see how they move pretty good there; all together. Even this guy Tudor, that now makes¿? boards. Of course not but all think yes.

And a bunch of other examples.

There are many Shapers who keep plugging away at it.  Paying the rent and employing 2 or 3 people to sand glass etc.  I am amazed every time I go down to the Ghetto to hang out with Pete C and Terry Senate.  On a Sat his little hole in the wall gets so many people coming thru to talk to him about a custom it’s crazy.  But Terry can shape anything and is excellent with people, so that goes a long way.  I did much better in the saturated market of Maui than I do here in Oregon.  Where 80% of the folks with Mercedes SUV’s and boards on top can hardly paddle and are content with a Boardworks Thai piece o shit.

PS.  They don’t even liked to be called Surfers!