Issues with finish using Resin Research Epoxy

No. This is the stuff: http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/floor-coatings-sealers-and-prep/behr-premium-low-lustre-sealer-986

I guess it depends on how you define abuse. Normal wear and tear, it’s fine. I learned about it on this website, supposedly it’s the “secret sauce” that many pro glass shops use as a final step in finishing their sanded finish boards.

Thanks Jamie!

Chris - The product Jamie spec’d is the same chemical make-up, just a different “sheen”. Go talk to Chris the paint dept. mgr down at Home Depot and he’ll help you out.

I’ve read Greg L advice,  and tested on deck patch, to not work the epoxy resin during lamination.  Pour it on, spread it out with low pressure,  let it sit 3min. Then pull out excess with easy but firm squeegie work. Avoid the polyester type of over work we see in fiberglass Hawaii vids. 

Then use the warmed epoxy ( I use hot water method)  and hit air heat gun. 

Getting great results. 

Revival post! Just would like to add that I’ve found a really useful tool for skimming on the last microcoat of Resin Research: a neoprene or polyurethane screen printing squeegee (durometer hardness of 50-70)…same material characteristics of skateboard wheels, flattened out with a wooden handle. Blick sells them for ten bucks or so. Anyway, I’ve been using RR for a decade or so, and chip brushes, neoprene squeegees (all neoprene, not as hard as what I’m talking about), yellow plastic spreaders, even my hands with thick nitrile gloves gave substandard results on that very last, thin layer to seal fibers and scuffs. With the screen squeegee, I can mix out about 7g of RR and have it cover one entire side of a 6’6" with an incredibly thin layer. The squeegees only come in minimum 6" widths, which I cut in half to make two 3" squeegees.
And, by the way, I’ve mostly dispensed with additive F, instead I make sure the room and resin is at least 75F, preferably 80F…no need for the F.

P.S. Ah, and by the way, another trick I’ve learned: Too much epoxy that hasn’t been out too long? I’ve frozen mixed epoxy for months and used it after gently thawing (no microwaves…cooks it into a bubbling volcano in a hurry)