Jobs

Quote:

A good education can only help you in life, no matter how much you hate going to school at the time.

It might also be wise to point out that while you go to school you can also have one hell of a lot of fun! College especially also allows for opportunity to flame out in a most spectacular fashion, right up there with unfortunate space shuttle re-entry scenarios. Something which both high school and college teach you - rather, give you the opportunity to learn about- is how to deal with big systems. Perhaps that isn’t so much a job skill thing, but it will certainly help down the road.

Speaking of down the road, I’ve heard often that knowing how to weld is a skill that pays off in just about any country on earth. Probably need to be 18 to learn it in the U.S.

Between this thread and certain archived ones I think Swaylock’s can offer tried andtrue advice on temp jobs, careers, and exit strategies…

college is like a long night of drinking you take a whole lot in over an extended period of time. and then when the time comes you just purge it all out. when you get a real job they will teach you pretty much everything all over again.

as for a highschool job you cant go wrong with something in the service industry. busers and servers make good money but get screamed at. the better money is in a bell hop or valet parker. my friend was a bell hop one summer and he made bank.

welding as also another good option, another friend of mine worked as a welder for a while and he made good money too, but know he makes his own motorcycle frames and other crap in his garage. and makes good money doing that too.

if you where older i would say bartend thats what i do, work 3-4 nights a week and come home with about 250 to 300 on an average night. ( downside long late hours and really stupid drunk people.)

Ahmmmm… my time in college was a bit different, and that’s a long and ugly story we won’t go into now, but…

It’s about this job thing. See, you may well learn a trade with a job in high school, especially something that goes beyond bagging groceries or pushing a broom. And I strongly recommend that . But, with any luck, you’ll learn something more important: who you are.

Everybody has a balance that’s right for 'em, between work and play, responsibility and authority, running things and taking orders, working with people or running your own show. What you have a gift for and what you just don’t do well. Whats fascinating and what is slow torture. And you don’t find that out in school. Or surfing. Work at a real job shows you a lot of it.

Then, you can know something about yourself. Make intelligent, informed decisions about where your life is gonna go and not necessarily follow the herd from high school to college. I worked in one college for a few years, watching 19 year olds change majors every month and basicly throw away a lot of their time and somebody else’s money. And as much as anything else getting in everyone’s way.

On the flip side were the ones who had been out for a while and came back to school. More driven, pushing the system, finding things out. College is an information buffet, all you can swallow, and you pay the fee at the door. If you know what you want, you can aim for that and do a job of it.

My own suggestion is take a year or two and work between schools. Work at a real job, surf, screw off, whatever, and get a handle on who you are and what you want to do and perhaps what you can and can’t do. Then you won’t be spending a lot of time looking at the bottom of a beer glass and damn little else. And if you decide on doing something with your life that needs a degree, you’ll do more and better in less time. And lots of other good things…

Hell, after a little while, the school was paying me, and that wasn’t a bad deal at all.

hope that’s of use

doc…

life gaurd is good but can be toturous just as beach staff was i started work at 8 an worked until 5-6

i got paid shit but i could surf on my lunch break

Quote:

Whats a good surf related job? What kinds of jobs did you guys have while you were in highschool?

Park Ranger…Waimea Falls Park…Mid-70’s…

Lotsa great memories…

Kapuna

i think i just got the best surfing job ive ever had. 3pm til Midnight, 4 nights on/3 days off. i can surf any day its good. but its 45 mins to the surf. dammit…

Start your own little business. Mow yards. Some people will pay between $30. and $100. Or pet sit.

Get a contract and then show every two weeks. You can make good money, surf as much as you like and not have to answer to a soul. Good experience in life as well. You will see true human nature.

Casual Surf shop employess, mostly in the board room inspecting and selling boards and wetsuits and surf school employee.

some kid at my school a few years ago toook out aloan and started his own business lawnmowing and landscaping made a butt load but barely graduated got to make his hours and stuff. my dad’s friend same thing has a nice house and everything.

i didn’t have a job,all i did was surf.girlfriends are a good source of income…ET

word soul, best job in the world, pimpin out the bitches. I wonder if i can put chrome on my surfboard? to match my diamond and gold teeth

Quote:
Quote:

my working started when I was 13 years old, I’m 17 now, payed for my own car (2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES) payed for my insurance

…and you still can’t spell “PAID”. perhaps you should’ve spent a little more time in the books there, buddy.

Are you serious? Are you really hassling me over one word I mispelled?

Especially telling me to hit the books was out of place, since I graduate in June, a year ahead of everyone else my age.

I do spend some time on some forums that have many people from the UK, maybe that’s where I picked that up.

The Australian public school system prides it’s self on spelling and grammer. As well as drinking and debauchery

Pandanus i think there is a little Aussie in all of us. god I would loved to have grown up down under so if i ever came to the states i would say to all the girls “want an austrailian kiss?” and when they ask what it is i could reply “Well, it’s like a french kiss but down under.” Three cheers for youthful follies

My plan is to take photos from my mat. Develop and print them at school for free and sell them for a motza! That has to be a good surf job!

Australian kiss, I will probably use that one before the day is out.

haha glad i can help :wink: