Journey Of A Quad

i’ve been a visitor to swaylocks for four or five years now, & registered a couple of years ago. my favourite threads have always been those that illustrate entire processes of doing things. so i thought it was time i should contribute something of my own.

i hesitate to do this for a couple of reasons. first, i’m no expert. i am lucky enough to have a dad who taught me how to shape as a teenager but since then in the last fifteen years i’ve only made around twenty boards & glassed three. i just make boards for myself. secondly, i’m afraid that this thread will confirm what some of you already know - i’m the world’s slowest surfboard maker! believe me, this quad will take a while, since not only am i slow, but also i’ve got a few other projects going at the same time: re-landscaping the gardens at home, bringing work home at night (i’m a teacher), filmmaking, writing, surfing when i can & most importantly being a good husband to my wife & a good dad to my son. lastly, i hesitate to write this thread in case something might go awry & the board’ll turn out horribly wrong & everyone will know about it! haha…

but i have some positive reasons to persevere with this thread. like i said i think it’s good to share with fellow swaylockians who have been so generous with their time. also, it’ll give me a visual document to use for future reference when i make boards. moreover, people might provide constructive feedback & even ideas on how to do things better.

anyway, herein follows the journey of a 5’5" quad…

I’m stoked for it. I love visuals of everything.

Turn one of these…

Into one of these…

i like to make my fins first. gets me excited about making the rest of the board & helps in visualising what it will look like & how it will go.

i got templates & placement numbers from a generous crew on this thread:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=252447;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=4093572

special thanks to rooster & gill for mailing/faxing me templates.

the fins are made from 9mm 5ply. glassed with 4oz cloth. halo is built up with rovings & cloth. a great explanation on how to do this stuff was posted by bert burger, an awesome helpful thread well worth a read if you’re into making wood fins & keels:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=161667;search_string=wooden%20keels;guest=1009267#161667

thanks larry. i like visuals too. nice shape mate.

ready to template:

finished template:

template has been cut out using a handsaw. now to the tricky butt-crack. for the first time i experimented with using a hacksaw. it worked well, more accurate than a handsaw. hopefully the photos help illustrate the process:

buttcrack is roughly cut, now i’m remeasuring the curves & double-checking everything before tidying up:

you go guy! one step at a time ------ so kool. don’t worry, folks will love following your journey…what the heck we all started some where…

final tidy-up with a surform:

then with block & paper:

final result:

template all trued-up:

now i’m ready to use the power plane:

hopefully i get a chance to do some more work over the weekend. however, i haven’t got my hopes up as a few family commitments are booked in & a new solid south swell is meant to fill in on saturday afternoon & peak on sunday morning. hey, gotta get your priorities in order right!?! haha…

Quote:
you go guy! one step at a time ------ so kool. don't worry, folks will love following your journey....what the heck we all started some where......

thanks mate!

ah…

all the weeks of p.m. 's

“have you started the quad yet ?”

“done the fins yet ?”

"how’s the quad coming along ? "

etc , etc , etc …

…finally paid off !

…the ball is now rolling …

cheers Nathan !

ben

so …was that a 6’2 / 6’3 burford kneeboard blank you’re using , mate ? going with a bit of nose rocker eh ? …good on you !

hey oldy,

while there are many ways to peel an orange,

I have noticed that many shapers leave the butt cracking to much later in the shaping process.

This protects the delicate corners.

but I am sure yours will be just fine!

For cutting outlines, I just dont have enough boards under my belt to cut the outline with the accuracy that I would like, so I have resorted to using a laser cut template and router with a long long cutting bit (made custom). Precision outlines for the unsteady at hand.

Really good to see more step by step topics. I love em.

Nice shape and fins. they look awsome.

Hopefully it’ll turn out as good as we’re all thinking it will

:slight_smile: good luck. What design is going to on it ?? Tint? and have you got any other picture of your other boards, im interested :slight_smile:

Chris

Looking good, oldy. Like trim king said, I always leave the butt crack until the board is 90 percent shaped to avoid breaking or tearing a tip. Mike

"Come on the amazing journey

And learn all you should know."

The Who.

Hey oldy. I look foward to the progress of this latest project. Don’t sell your self short. If it turns out half as good as the red single fin, it will still be a fine piece of craftmasship. Think positive thoughts. I’m learning to.

Clarke came around last week with a spotless Dillon stringerless. For a spit and polish. Well it had a few spots. platty.

Quote:

hey oldy,

while there are many ways to peel an orange,

I have noticed that many shapers leave the butt cracking to much later in the shaping process.

This protects the delicate corners.

but I am sure yours will be just fine!

yep, i left the butt-crack until the last moment on my last fish. i’m not sure why i decided to change my schedule this time around, just reckless unbridled enthusiasm i guess! i’ll have to be really careful using the planer.

Quote:

For cutting outlines, I just dont have enough boards under my belt to cut the outline with the accuracy that I would like, so I have resorted to using a laser cut template and router with a long long cutting bit (made custom). Precision outlines for the unsteady at hand.

that sounds very interesting, can you elaborate please & even post a photo maybe?

like you, i’m not great at accurate template cutting. as hard as i try to avoid it, i find the handsaw moves off vertical & i get ‘dips’ in the rail line. my trick is to cut 1/8" or even 1/4" outside the line, then true-up with a surform & paper & block. this isn’t real efficient i know, but i keep telling myself it’s not a race, & better to do a little post-cutting clean up than sacrificing width in the finished shape. like all good lessons, i learnt this one the hard way.

so i’m very interested in your solution for my unsteady hand.