just for gary * [aquafiend] / "kombi" thread ?

…gay jokes aside , HERE’S what is on 'Hicksy’s Kombi’s window [ it’s on the DRIVER’S side , I hasten to add !! ]

[we are right hand drive here , luckily !]

ben

“Kombis rule !”

[needless to say , this was a girl’s kombi …hence the butterfly stickers , and …pink and purple inside !! …least , that’s what Grant said , anyway… But it’s probably why he wanted to spray the "Auslocks " board pink , I guess ]

ben

• p.s. …don’t ever take the “r” out of your name there , mate

Ben, what’s a Kombi? Mike

hey you’re not gary !!

it’s short for kombine harvester [see " a weekend at hicksy’s " thread for a photo of the vehicall in kwestion …[or is that the questionable girlie vehicle ??]

ben

Early term for VW van.

we still use the term today .

…I wonder what the Germans call them now ?

ben

Oh. I used to have a 66 camper kombi. Still have the shortened crooked leg from the head on collision,too. Mike

hehe…niiiiice

where you at, gary?!!!

Quote:

Oh. I used to have a 66 camper kombi. Still have the shortened crooked leg from the head on collision,too. Mike

ouch …sorry to hear about that !

…do you have any shots of the kombi [before and after?]

p.m. me if you don’t want this to turn into a “V.W.” thread , eh ?

cheers Mike !

ben

Oh Puleese,

Don’t start up on Kombis!!!

They have TOO MANY ENTHUSIASTS!!!

Hehe

Speedneedle

Veedub vans are surf related in my book. I don’t have any pictures. Mom might have pictures. The only ‘after’ pictures I saw were the ones the insurance company took. The front in was caved in, the seat torn off it’s bolts, and it rolled over on the roof. Wasn’t wearing a seat belt. I can’t remember if it had seat belts. Left leg trapped in the metal(what little there is in the front end) and hung me up side down. Miracle I wasn’t killed or paralyzed from the waste down like others that drove em. Be careful Hicks! The thing had a fridge, bed, cabinets. I lived in it for a few months. Voltage regulator dies so have to drive it through Baja using light from the full moon. I still have dreams about that van. I jump in and am stoked it still runs and the brakes work. Mike

listen to the song “down under” by “Men at Work”…

youd get a good kick out of it…

Quote:

…gay jokes aside…

Wheres the fun in that??

could you explain this?

Not with pictures please. Hehehehe

-GArY

I agree, Kombis are surf related. This one’s a 1976 model with a 2000cc motor, drives like a beauty. The butterflys really have to go though.

This is my registered one, picked it up for $1800 a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve got an unregistered 1974 pop top campervan sulking in my garage, I’m turning that one into a caravan, rip out the motor and gearbox, steering wheel etc so it can be flat towed behind this one.

It’s already got the fridge, stove, water tank and sink as well as the double bed. Now that’s going to piss people off on the roads, having to pass 2 Kombis!!!

Down Under

Men At Work

[Written by Colin James Hay and Ron Strykert]

Travelling in a fried-out Kombi

On a hippie trail, head full of zombie

I met a strange lady, she made me nervous

She took me in and gave me breakfast

And she said

Do you come from a land down under

Where women glow and men plunder

Can’t you hear, can’t you hear the thunder

You better run, you better take cover

Buying bread from a man in Brussels

He was six-foot-four and full of muscles

I said, do you speak-a my language

He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

And he said

I come from a land down under

Where beer does flow and men chunder

Yeah

---- Instrumental Interlude ----

Lyin’ in a den in Bombay

With a slack jaw and not much to say

I said to the man, are you trying to tempt me

Because I come from the land of plenty

And he said, aaaaah

Do you come from a land down under

(Oh yeah, yeah)

Aaaaaah

Living in a land down under

(Yeah, plunder)

(Oh, yeah)

Hey AF

The Fairies Live Here sticker was a present from Chip, no, not really. The Kombi was bought from a girl, she decorated it inside and out. Purple seat covers, flowers and butterflys everywhere, I’ve got the spraycan ready…

ok fair enough… heres the surf vehicle I want to buy…

and heres my current surf vehicles…

*note the scratches on the silver one… thats when some punks were beating my board and kicking my car after I informed them of proper ettiquite in the line up… sometimes it doesnt pay to be polite and helpful…

and a shot of the interior… note the neoprene seat cover, rubber floor mats, and rubber stearing wheel cover (easy to take out and wash off the sand)…

Now guys, this is starting to get a bit suss…back to surf vehicles, anyone else got a Kombi…

back when i got my first car there was a vw mirco bus sitting right next to the car i ended up with. this thing was mint. it had the a nice rack on the top one of those fold out beds and a sink.

it was two tone white and red. i begged and pleaded to no avail. i even offered to fork over the extra 1,000 bucks but it didnt work.

by the way

Quote:

He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

has got to be my favorite line in all of song.

Wooo! I didn’t know you had a Kombi Grant. ROCK ON!!

Shipman and I rode in a kombie to the Swaylock’s Big Sur campout. We had 4 boards on the roof.

The collge guys from San Diego also had a Kombie but they had 10 or 12 boards on the roof.

Any body get a photo ?