Here’s the latest project. My brother in law wanted me to make him a hull-like board over Christmas. Rather than buying a new blank, he wanted to strip an old Mobley that’s been browning on the side of the house. The board was a 9’, rolled bottom, pintail that was about 4" thick. First he routed out 4" strips on the deck and bottom and stripped all the glass off. Next we drew out the template and cut out the planshape. Then I measured out the tail rocker and went to town with the planer. That was a helluva lot of foam to remove in the tail section but it worked out ok. I would have thinned out the tail a little more but he wanted more thickness in it. It kinda reminds me of my old DHD. Anyway, after working the rocker and thickness out, I thinned and softened up the rails. Unfortunately, there was some pretty serious nose damage on the old board that went fairly deep into the foam so there are few gouges on the deck. You can also see some brown foam around the nose where we didn’t dare thin it out. I wanted to do an opaque resin but he had his mind set on a coke bottle green tint. This wasn’t a restoration job, it was more of an experimental project that was really fun.
Specs: 6-4-6 glass with UV resin and a touch of green tint on an OLD Walker blank.
DIMS: 7’1" x 17" x 21.75" x 15" x 3"
BTW, he routed out the old Mobley lam, sanded it down and we re-lammed it on the newly shaped board. In honor of Mobley of course.
I’ll sand and polish it this weekend. Then take some mo’ betta shots when it’s finished.