Latest Shark Repellent

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0729_040729_sharkrepellent.html

A few drops in the resin, wetsuit or booties and your safe from whitey. Maybe…

I saw that news article, apparently they are thinking of using it like anti fouling paint. Hasn’t been tested on Whiteys/Tigers/Bulls etc yet, only little reef type sharks.

Hicksy

I read about this too, but in a different article, and what I read stated that the chemical being used is an extract of dead shark, so that other sharks smell a dead shark and don’t want to come near.

This doesn’t really make sense to me because I thought sharks ate sharks, but maybe not.

So, if it takes eight ounces for an area the size of an olympic pool (as the article states) then how are we going to use it in a constantly churning ocean? I guess a tank connected to a pier on a timer could spray it out, but that would tick off the fisherman.

I think it’s unnecessary.

But, if you could, in fact, place a chemical in the resin that really worked, then why not?

Now if only they could do that for door-to-door solicitors.

In that article they mention putting the chemical in sunscreen, boardshorts, and wetsuits. That would seem to be much more viable than a tank of it by a pier, but the effectiveness would also seem to be much less.

Sunscreen makes the most sense. What, you don’t think there should be a guy with a hose continually spraying chemicals into the water from a pier? What’s wrong with you? :wink:

Quote:

What, you don’t think there should be a guy with a hose continually spraying chemicals into the water from a pier? What’s wrong with you? :wink:

The other “guys”, with the big, mile long, cement hoses, that are continually spraying chemicals into the water might take offence…