laying up a fibreglass fin panel ....

Just posting up my first home made fin and thanks to this thread with all the really helpfull info it came out all right with no problems lol.

there are some small bubles in the fin i was doing 4 layers at a time with a squeegee, will do just the 2 layers next time. 

good on ya mate !

thanks for sharing .

Yes , two layers at a time is probably a good idea , especially when it is a large sized panel , as longer board single fins tend to be.

… AND…

DID you manage to get a couple of side fins , from the offcuts , too ?  Having the ’ 2 +1 ’  / ’ Widowmaker ’ option , is always good !

… please ,  keep up the fin making …

cheers !

ben 

hi llilibel !

the next stage I will try … will be perspex , for futures bases angles. Bonzers also will be possible , as well as some more curved fins…

The local hardware chain , 'Bunnings  ’ here , has it lengths of a few metres ,  and wide , too … it will be easier to lay up PLENTY of curved fins , with that option , too…  :slight_smile:

… to be continued … 

cheers !

ben

for ’ Llilibel ’ and others  who have been asking about angled bases over the years,

here is what I did with curved fins , on another thread …

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/curved

And the great “plusone shaper”, George Gall, did a few ‘moulding fin bases’ threads a few years ago , which were VERY helpful and informative , and photo filled !

[a link to which is in THIS thread , too… ]

http://www.swaylocks.com/groups/re-moulding-fin-bases

Also , when I buy the length of perspex that hardware store ‘Bunnings’ sells , I may make a few bonzer runners , as well as give futures bases angles a go . Being that most of the rippers here use ‘Futures’ …

… to be continued …

cheers

ben

Great thread. One question. I have loads of old wax candles, would these work for waxing the glass panels to make fins on? rubbed all over then evenly spread with a cloth?

Partall #2 paste wax and Coverall purple PVA are my choices after a couple fails with epoxy and ‘home remedy’ releases like car wax and vegatable shortening.

Thanks. I am using poly but will have a look into those.

Hey Helter, Ive read on another thread(cant remember which one) that parrafin wax(for candles) works great. Gene Cooper mentioned it on here, not sure if he will chime in…

Im about to attempt my first fin panel and bought some “Gulf” parrafin wax(mentioned by Gene), not sure were you are located, but i found it at ACE hardware here in the states. I think its also on amazon. Gene mentioned to buy a box where the wax bars are clear all the way through. the ones with white in the center wont last as long, cheers 

Heres a link :

Don’t know if anyone still checks this thread but I have been looking at making my own fins with futures tabs. I’m trying to figure out a good way of cutting the cant angle into them. I don’t want to do the angled perspex method as it limits where in the panel you can cut your fins from meaning more wastage and glass ain’t cheap. Looking at a set of captain fins twins I have, you can see from the coloured layer that they have been milled or sanded out instead of bent. So I’m just wondering how the productive guys especially Akali etc who only do hand lay-up achieve this?