Least Yellowing Epoxy

John ----------------'Bout as much sun and heat in Bay/Osos as there is in Tillamook Bay.  The Poly board that I had shrunk within two weeks and was in a bag the whole time.  Although it was laying outside in that bag for three or four days.  And it was fairly hot under the Maui sun.  Oregon's soo cool and cloudy that I am going to go back to doing Carbon fiber laminations with the disclaimer that the board not be taken out of the state of Oregon., 

hi dean if you leave boards in the sun they go yellow. if you put some urethane foam in the sun unglassed it will yellow in a few days

If your using 2000 without UV absorber paint the blank white. Epoxy over PU is a pretty new phenomenon.  It’s been done through the years which is why we know how to do it.  It’s being done more and more which is why we introduced CE and then KK both packaged up for either foam.  2000 was what we sold for surfboards for years and is still fine on EPS or painted PU blanks.  Silly’s exactly right about PU in the sun.  

I have noticed that EPS boards glassed with RR that have a polyester coat over them do far better in the sun. 

Interesting to hear that the polyester coat saved the clark urethane from the fate that I had been seeing (even with green foam)

Hi Greg,

who sells your UV absorber apart from yourself?

[quote="$1"]

I thought the kinetics had a UV absorber in it already.

Looked through there website and it says UV resistant.

Will have a look on the packaging when I get home.

Cheers

[/quote]

Says on the packaging "UV stable"

Cheers

[quote="$1"]

If your using 2000 without UV absorber paint the blank white. Epoxy over PU is a pretty new phenomenon.  It's been done through the years which is why we know how to do it.  It's being done more and more which is why we introduced CE and then KK both packaged up for either foam.  2000 was what we sold for surfboards for years and is still fine on EPS or painted PU blanks.  Silly's exactly right about PU in the sun.  

[/quote]

I thought painting the blank was a no no with epoxy!!

Or is it just with EPS??

I used to do it a while ago with PU/PE but stopped when Midget said we didnt need to.

Havent painted a PU with epoxy though

Might help stop some yellowing

Who does it with PU/epoxy??

Cheers

I do… works fine. I’ve done it under the 2000 and the CE. No problems… and not just white. All kinds of colors.

No one I know of sells UV absorber for epoxy except for us.  Might be someone out there but I’ve never seen it.

UV stable means the resin is resistant to yellowing.  That doesn’t mean it protects the blank.  RR 2000 is UV stable but doesn’t protect the blank the way CE and KK do.

Only gloss coats though.

Me.

Can you make 2000 the same in this respect with UV absorber (protecting the blank). Can you put your optical brightener in all your resins? Then RR only comes in blue so blue RR is not just for polyurethane anymore and boards come out much brighter regardless of RR choice.