less rocker

what are problems associated with shaping a board with less rocker than the blank has? In other words, are there problems with decreasing the amount of rocker in a blank by shaping it out? I hope this makes sense. thanks

I dont think theres a problem ,,, you just shaped out some of the rocker,, if thats what you want to do ,, then ,,, no problem.

will it hurt the blank? ,,, no

will the performance of the board suffer? ,,, no ,,, it will perform different, thats all,,,, maybe better ,,, maybe worse

Unless you’ve got plenty of experience adjusting rocker, it’s not something I’d advise. It’s much easier to add rocker at the ends than take it out from the middle. Don’t get me wrong… it can and is done. But it takes some skill. There’s a tendency to create flat spots, particularly, but any irregularity in the curve can dramatically affect performance.

The problem is do you have the skill to change the rocker and not make into a piece of doodie.  Adjusting the rocker is probably left better to those who understand it.  For example: if you change the rocker in the middle by taking a little biti out, did you know that you can add rocker almost exponentially to one of the ends.  This is by simply changing the balance point.  That is not shaping 101 folks.   But don’t worry most people out there calling themselves shapers do not have this type of mojo…  

I like low rocker boards, one problem with reducing it a lot on a blank instead of ordering a blank glued up with less rocker, is that your foil gets thinner than you may want in the middle (unless your blank is very thick) and you will end up overshaping or removing a lot of foam off the top in the tail area.  You might want to beef up the glassing under your back foot to compensate for the softer foam and stick a pad on of course.   If you look at the Rawson designed blanks, now in the US Blanks Catalog, they are pretty low rocker, but thick in the tail, anticipating removing foam off the bottom of the board for an average rocker, not the top.

It’s not that hard. You just have to understand and account for the change in thickness.

Make sure the rocker (and foil) you want will fit in the blank, then adjust the bottom rocker to how you want it, and adjust the deck rocker to fit your thickness flow/foil.

Thanks for the input guys, i was just wondering if others do it on some of their flatter boards. as for changing the "balance point", i don't think it would as rocker is measued from the center point of the board

Thanks for the input guys, i was just wondering if others do it on some of their flatter boards. as for changing the "balance point", i don't think it would as rocker is measued from the center point of the board

I like flatter rockers also. For me, it is essential to have rocker templates if I’m re-working a blank. If you have the pattern you know works then it is easy really.

Bear in mind, that all rockers are not continuous curves. Some have flat spots engineered in and others are more angular like the inside of barrel staves. Segmented as it were.