Lone Star State of Mind

I have a friend who is in Texas , shaping for “The Senator”, James Fullbright (sp). Every year Max comes back w/ unbelievable tales of what lengths the lonestarians go to for fun , in and out of the water. I couldn’t believe the story of riding the supertanker wakes in the Galvistin tanker channel. Three waves every six hours , in the 25 mile channel. Towed in behind a boat , let go, ride for miles. I’ve seen pictures as proof. Do any of you Telacaster lovers ride this place? W/O bursting the bubble ,and thanks to Sam George , Dana Brown has footage coming to the screen in the new film E.S.III.

I used to wake surf behind the tugs I ran I NYC, waist high, believe it desperate surfers do desperate things peter>>> I have a friend who is in Texas , shaping for “The Senator”, > James Fullbright (sp). Every year Max comes back w/ unbelievable tales of > what lengths the lonestarians go to for fun , in and out of the water. I > couldn’t believe the story of riding the supertanker wakes in the > Galvistin tanker channel. Three waves every six hours , in the 25 mile > channel. Towed in behind a boat , let go, ride for miles. I’ve seen > pictures as proof. Do any of you Telacaster lovers ride this place? W/O > bursting the bubble ,and thanks to Sam George , Dana Brown has footage > coming to the screen in the new film E.S.III.

I’ve never surfed a wake, but I’ve talked to people who have. I’ve also seen the wakes break. Looks fun/doable on ships much smaller than supertankers. The bow wakes are the big ones. Choose a wide enough section of channel to keep you away from the ships. I’ve heard that captains and pilots don’t like the liability of possibly killing you with their props. Some will turn you in, so keep an eye out for the harbor patrol.

The threat of being ground to little pieces in the ship’s prop is quite real, especially in a narrow channel. Narrow channels create the bigger wakes. The bow pushes water forward while the props suck out all the water behind the bow. Makes a huge standing wave (in relation to the ship/tug). If you fall into the trough, you can be sucked through the prop and killed. Stern wakes are smaller, but safer.>>> I’ve never surfed a wake, but I’ve talked to people who have. I’ve also > seen the wakes break. Looks fun/doable on ships much smaller than > supertankers. The bow wakes are the big ones.>>> Choose a wide enough section of channel to keep you away from the ships. > I’ve heard that captains and pilots don’t like the liability of possibly > killing you with their props. Some will turn you in, so keep an eye out > for the harbor patrol.

We used to run up the Raritan River to sail ships and assist with docking. One morning when we were supposed to be relieved ( meaning after 14 days of working 6 hrs on 6 hrs off) we got a ship job at the last minute. Everyone was piseed off , this job would jeporadize all of our travel arrangements we had to hurry and get back quick. A 110 ft Tug with 6000 hp drawing 16 ft of water, swinging a pair of 9.5’ stainless wheels,with a full speed at 12 knots can throw a huge wake! This vessel had more complaints about it’s wake, heck it made a wake just sitting alongside the dock tied up! The scenario is this ,hooked up , in a hurry, steaming in a dredged out ship channel. A boat such as this sucks water off the bank, and replaces itself with a perfect 4’ barrel. 2 fisherman ( get where this going?) on a dock one looks up after we pass ( the wake has not hit yet ) reels his line in walks away. The other looks UP just in time to see a perfect barrel. The first of three threatening his morning of fishing. He drops to his knees, sticks his hands in between the slats, rides the first wave up and then down the other side only to go through the two following waves! I was not the operator at this time, simply an observer whose eyes were glued to binoculars ( rember we worked 6 on 6 off, I was off… sure !) If you were there waiting with a board… what a ride! When all that water comes from 46’ of sucked out bank water and then relaces itself onto 1-2" of muddy bank water!GI Joe would like he is a Jaws! now thats a SEA storie>>> I’ve never surfed a wake, but I’ve talked to people who have. I’ve also > seen the wakes break. Looks fun/doable on ships much smaller than > supertankers. The bow wakes are the big ones.>>> Choose a wide enough section of channel to keep you away from the ships. > I’ve heard that captains and pilots don’t like the liability of possibly > killing you with their props. Some will turn you in, so keep an eye out > for the harbor patrol.