Looking for Ventura area apartment

Hello all,

I have been posting and reading here for a long time, and although this is a surfboard design forum, i figured that posting this absolutley couldn’t hurt.

I am a 22 year old college graduate looking to move anywhere from santa barbara to ventura within 2 miles from the beach, and can afford around $600 a month.

If any of you have a room or know somebody or know somebody who knows somebody or anything, please let me know.

I am a very responsible person, not into drugs or partying and dont have any pets. Both furnished and unfurnished work for me.

I know all the websites for this stuff and am searching constantly, so please dont post any links to craigslist or wherever.

Thanks for reading this, i really appreciate it,

Bobby

Quote:

looking to move anywhere from santa barbara to ventura within 2 miles from the beach, and can afford around $600 a month.

Ouch! I live 8-10 miles inland from Ventura and rental rooms in houses here start at around $1100 a month. Nobody pays what they can afford if you are using a “rational” percentage to income ratio. It’s worse in Santa Barbara, where the median purchase price of a 3 bedroom tract house is now something like $1.3 million dollars. You might try the student ghetto areas near UCSB; other areas of Ventura County can be more ghetto and less student, if you know what I mean, so check that aspect of anywhere (feel free to P.M. me with questions). I have also heard that sometimes the old housesitting drill can locate you a room for all or part of the week for a modest fee - unlike decades past you have to pay these days. Speculation is some folks have purchased massively expensive beach houses and have to work so much servicing the loan and $10-15,000 a year property taxes that the houses don’t get much use and they get caught in a Catch-22 of insurers not wanting to insure a vacant home.

good choice, ventura can be a nice place

dont rent

buy

start with an old dump of a house on an agreement of sale

help out the owners…

build a shed and make boards

pay for the house…

…ambrose…

that would be a great idea except that ventura median home price is near 575k and fixers go for about 400k. oh yeah the surf sucks here!!!

the american dollar is worth 3cents of the buying power of the 1966 dollar.

using the’lands is too expensive’

excuse has been used

for ever while the rents go up proportionately.

cop to the continuium

buy a wreck by the seat of your pants…1000$ a month = 12000 a year…by 2040 you may have paid 575000.oo

in rent…college grads do math…too?

35x12000 =$420000.oo

… ambrose…

not holding out on the encouragement

rent a 600.oo a month spot and put 600 amonth in savings?

7200.oo in somebody elses pocket,7200.oo in yours…

or… wake up when you are 45 years old with ?

Quote:

. buy a wreck by the seat of your pants…1000$ a month = 12000 a year…by 2040 you may have paid 575000.oo

in rent…college grads do math…too?

35x12000 =$420000.oo

Santa Barbara is so expensive people who make a decent living there must buy either in Ventura County or up in Santa Maria/Lompoc, usually paying well more than the supposed 25% of income or whatever ratio was popular in the 1960’s. This in turn has jacked the rent and ownership costs in Ventura County. 1 bedroom house on Ventura Avenue sells for $475,000…that kind of thing. New developments in Oxnard tout themselves with photos of Ventura from the Cross in the hills above.

How is this for math? A young couple I know, probably around 30 now, both only 2-3 years out of college (remember that math, anybody? :wink: just bought a 3 bedroom house in suburban Moorpark for something like $600,000. They pay $3100 a month on an interest-only loan…and it’s not an impound account, so they also pay taxes on that plus insurance and all utilities. The girl’s mom described it as a 1970’s fixer. Take two hits of acid and call your real estate broker…

That said, there are still ways to live somewhat under the radar without hemmoraging all your income…but you pretty much have to know people. Trailers on remaining oddball former ranch/farm acreage, illegal grannyflat rental, full-time camping…all options which in my mind beat riding a new credit card into slavery. They are just really tough to find.

even mobile homes in the ventura area are getting out of control $ wise. 800 square foot fixer upper’s built in the 1920’s are going for 525,000 in the “ghetto” part of town.some friends just purchased 160 acres for less than 700,000 and are tenting it…

Sure , since 60% of loans are interest only loans and this new equity economy fueling home prices to the moon. The very creative equity /refi game has almost run it’s course and using your home as a ATM machine day’s are closing in. Mr . Homeloan Bubble pops in the next 1-3 yrs your going see foreclosure mania like never before…save you pennies …it’s coming.

Or you could just pack up and move to Wozzieland, 4 bed 2 bath on 500sqm = $230 000AU 10 mins from the coast.

It’s sooo nice here…

230 on the coast, want to get in quick.

i think i found a place a mile from the beach for 500 a month. i really lucked out thougg, but who knows.

please keep me posted if any of you find anything that might interest me.

thanks for all of your help,

Bobby