LoxBox vs. Futures

I read a bunch of old posts and wanted updated opinions.

I am just starting to shape boards and can only afford 1 system.

I shape with EPS Epoxy only and glass with Epoxy Resin.

Which system is easier to install?

Uses less resin ( a concern if it puddles and gets too hot)?

Has better installation instructions?

Thanks.

Howzit ny_surfer,If your choices are Future or LokBox then LokBox is by far the better system of choice. Aloha,Kokua

If you have an air compressor get the Lokbox jig and router set. You get a DeWalt plunge router and a jig for longboard boxes as well. The jig attaches to your compressor to create a vacuum attachment to your board. I think that you also get a bunch of boxes with the order too. Beats the hand held jig and Ryobi router that comes with Futures.

Only thing I don’t like about Lokbox is that the fins are not as available as Futures and FCS. At least here in Hawaii

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB4&Number=1087433&Searchpage=1&Main=909234&Words=+vespagetti&topic=&Search=true#Post1087433!

NY Surfer, have you considered Probox?

i’m getting ready to install my first finboxes and

i’m thinking i will go with Probox to begin with

and eventually work up to Lokbox.

the reasons i plan on going with Probox are:

$45 installation kit.

easy installation.

no need to setup cant when installing.

more adjustment options.

great feedback from Swaylockers.

from what i could gather, the cons to Probox are:

smaller fin selection. (but with the 2 major

fin companies making fins that fit or can be made

to fit, this is kinda absolete in my opinion.)

from what i’ve read in the archives, it seems to me

that FCS and Future boxes are basically inferior to

the other boxes. they are just the most hyped.

also, if you decide to go with LokBox, somebody posted

a thread on the Surfermag.com bulletin boards that

details how to install the boxes without the install kit.

it’s definitely worth the read. i don’t have a link, and i

can’t get on their site right now so you’ll have to search.

good luck!

{{if your choices are Future or LokBox then LokBox is by far the better system of choice.}}

But do consider that – Laird, Peter Mel, Garret McNamara, Riamana, Toshnick, Rat-Boy, Keiran Horn, Vince Broglio, Rich Schmidt, Ed Guzman and a list that goes on… & … are on Futures. So the quote above might read just the opposite. I the list of shapers using and preferring the system is just as long.

Futures is very straight forward to make fins for if one is so inclined.

A thousand eyes yield a thousand perspectives.

No Worries, Rich

That link is the link I posted in the post right above yours Chris

ha ha, sorry about that Janklow.

i figured it was but when i clicked on it

i got an error mssg. i guess either my

computer or their site was acting funny.

I went with LoxBox. Most of my custom boards from California have loxbox and I have to assume that is because the shapers prefer it. It was a very tough decision though. Hope I made the right choice.

Hey nice big wave there ny.

Good choice. Ive used most and LB is super solid. With LB you can use just about any adhesive. I use a slow setting epoxy paste that I purchased at the marine supply store…goes on thick like cold mayo.

Another trick…I draw a pencil outline of the oval box on the foam then cut along the outline with a blade about the depth of the flange. Then freehand the trim routing just inside the cut outline and simply pull off the remaining sliver of foam when done.

HTH

From an end users perspective (surfer that has never shaped a board) that has used both, I personnaly prefer the Future Fin setup. I hate the screw on the LB and always fear putting the screw driver through the bottom of the board. I feel like I keep having to crank down the screw head so I don’t get wiggle in the fin and get it properly set. I also, like to know that I’ve got the fin where the shaper meant it to be and don’t have to guess about moving it forward or back. But I have great boards with both systems. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for all the feedback guys we really appreciate it! For those of you worried about where to put your fins…it’s easy really. There are 4 hash marks on the box. The second one has a built in dot. This is the glass-on or shapers position. If you don’t want to adjust your fins…or think about it…just put them on the dot and your done! I make it easy for people by telling them there is really only 3 positions, all the way up, all the way back…or in the middle. With board prices on their way up the adjustment can help justify the cost to your customers. Just moving the rear fin gives you three different boards. Fins set neutral when you find waves that are perfect for the size board you happen to have at that particular moment. Waves are a bit small, move the back fin forward to loosen it up. Waves a bit big move the rear fin back and it rides like a board two inches bigger. I regularly stump shapers when asking them how they came across the fin positions that they use. I usually get the deer in the headlights look, or a red face as they don’t really want to tell me that that’s how everyone else does it or the guy down the street told me to put them there. 11 and 1/4 or 1/2 and 3 and 1/4 or 1/2 has been the norm for more than 20 years. But rockers and plan shapes have changed so much during this time. I’m just trying to give some component of adjustability to help shapers progress, learn, and advance the sport, at the same time giving their customers a bit more for their buck. I realize of course this can be complicated for some, and may even steer some people away from the system. But I keep a pretty close relationship with my customers, and at this time at least half of them are using it based soley on the adjustability. Hard to turn away from that kind of feedback. Take the adjustability away and lose half my customers overnite? Just can’t do that. Don’t want to adjust them? THEN DON’T. Put 'em on the dot and be done with it.

The box has a taper creating a wedge fit. This requires some effort to get the fins in and flush. The reason we stick with this design is to give a solid connection between your fin and box. We believe that a fin system is not just a fin, but a fin AND a box, or plug. but no one wants to talk about their box or plug really. But they’ll tell you all about their fins, how they’ve been water tank and wind tunnel tested, mathmatically computer designed, and approved by nasa. This kind of flex and that kind of flex. But when you put it in your board how does it feel? Is it tight? Are they tight on ALL your boards or just one or two? I’ve been going out of my way lately to check peoples boards that I see with the other systems. Check 'em in shops, tradeshows…different countries etc… The fit of the fins is all over the place. Ones tight, the other two wiggle or vice versa. Been hearing alot lately that people are having to sand one down to get it in, but the other two drop right in and wiggle once tight. I’m not into that. I like consistency. The only way to pull that off is to be slightly on the tight side with a taper, thanks to uncontrollable shrinkage rates involved with injection molding processes. Once you learn how to tighten them properly it becomes a no brainer. Hence our new marketing program “Think INSIDE the box”!

In regards to the flat head screw. To be honest(and trying not be defensive) it’s been hard sticking with the flat head over the years, but the #1 complaint I hear (and I hear it daily) about the allen screws with the other systems is that they strip. Or the wrench strips. I’m just not gonna copy a faulty design. Do a little test. Ask 30 people if they have ever stripped a screw or wrench and found themself frustrated and sweating in the parking lot because the waves are going off and they can’t get their fins in, or out for that matter. With a screw that just bites into plastic, your never really sure when to stop tightening it, because every time you tighten it, it seems to burrow it’s way deeper into the plastic. So the screw goes further and further into the plug or box. If your using glass fins the hole on the fin becomes sloppy after time, and your fin starts getting wiggly and sometimes you just have this free floating screw in there that’s just keeping the fin in, but not really tight. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. I travel alot so I take my fins in and out alot. My goal was to give people a fin that is the closest thing to a glass-on as possible. And not just for the first ten times you surf. For the life of the board! It’s the opposite of the others - instead of being careful you gotta crank it down. I lost my screw driver somehow on my trip to OZ. Of course I realized it when I was crunching to get my boards packed and get to the airport in time for my flight. Got my fins out with a butter knife from the hotel room.

Like I said it’s been tough and definately a challenge teaching people how to use this system. But I love a challenge! keeps me on my toes.

Thanks again Jim

Quote:

I went with LoxBox. Most of my custom boards from California have loxbox and I have to assume that is because the shapers prefer it. It was a very tough decision though. Hope I made the right choice.

Like I told you NYsurfer, I’m here to help you out. I think I’ll start by getting you to spell it right. It’s not bagels and Loxbox. It’s Lokbox.

haaa Loxbox sounds like a Jewish hooker!!!

please it was a joke people don’t get in a tizzy over it.

Quote:
I think I'll start by getting you to spell it right. It's not bagels and Loxbox. It's Lokbox.

Nalu - the Japanese surf mag - calls them “Rokbox” hahaha

Lol we once got an order for a Mike Sringerand with Roxbox and they wanted a large moonright flog logo on the bottom.