machine shaping

defeats the purpose of using a cnc if you are having to alter the actual shape to fit the blank. ass backwards.

doesn’t matter how flexible the shaping system is if the curve isn’t close. if you physically tweak the fixturing to make it fit but then you have spring back and the shape is distorted and rockers are off. you can spend countless hours reprogramming each and every individual board to every blank that is off. with the walker blanks the rockers are out in inches not fractions. and every blank is deviated.

overshaping will cause distortion if the board isn’t glassed in a reasonable amount of time. it may look good immediately after milling, but if you inspect the board after a week it has shrunk. and this is all blanks even eps.

viewing on the computor screen and comparing the rockers of the blank and shape in acutal 3D is completely different if the rocker of the blank isn’t accurate to your rocker on your computor screen.

defeats the purpose of using a cnc if you are having to alter the actual shape to fit the blank. ass backwards.

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. Whether you’re trying to hand shape a board that doesn’t geometrically fit into the blank you’re using or do it on a machine, it is far from ideal and at time it simply won’t work.

doesn’t matter how flexible the shaping system is if the curve isn’t close. if you physically tweak the fixturing to make it fit but then you have spring back and the shape

is distorted and rockers are off. you can spend countless hours reprogramming each and every individual board to every blank that is off. with the walker blanks the rockers

are out in inches not fractions. and every blank is deviated.

There is not springing back being the holding setup of our machine, but you’re right, if you’re rockers are off, you’re going to have problems. Depending on the degree of “offness” you may or maynot get get something close to what you want. As you say, blanks have large measurement tolerance, along with many other imperfections. The point I’m making, it’s that the more flexible the system that deals those things and gives the shaper the freedom to decide what he wants to do with his design and the blank he has on hand.

overshaping will cause distortion if the board isn’t glassed in a reasonable amount of time. it may look good immediately after milling, but if you inspect the board

after a week it has shrunk. and this is all blanks even eps.

viewing on the computor screen and comparing the rockers of the blank and shape in acutal 3D is completely different if the rocker of the blank isn’t accurate to

your rocker on your computor screen.

Yes, known but still noted. The key is the inaccuracy you mention, true in any industry.

Jimmy

I wasn’t trying make an argument, just sounded like a sales pitch as if your system has the flexibility to over come the impossible. lol.

I’m glad you agree. utilizing the machine is great for accuracy but it’s as only as good as the glue ups.

there is always springback it’s the nature of the beast. impossible to mill a blank that is available now and have no spring back.

I wasn’t trying make an argument, just sounded like a sales pitch as if your system has the flexibility to over come the impossible. lol.

I’m glad you agree. utilizing the machine is great for accuracy but it’s as only as good as the glue ups.

there is always springback it’s the nature of the beast. impossible to mill a blank that is available now and have no spring back.

Agree, it’s arguable that any system holds a blank in any way can distort the shape when let go.

Sorry for the apparent sales pitch, there’s a fine line between a technical discussion and me looking I have a bias towards one specific system, which of course I do.

Jimmy

Aku Shaper

Agree, it’s arguable that any system holds a blank in any way can distort the shape when let go.

Sorry for the apparent sales pitch, there’s a fine line between a technical discussion and me looking I have a bias towards one specific system, which of course I do.

Jimmy

Aku Shaper

some of the claims of some machine salespeople are not accurate. for some of the uninitiated that are looking to posssibly purchase most are too eager to believe the bs. and are soon separated with their hard earned monies, soon dissapointed once they have seen the limitations of hyped system. all I can say is CAVEAT EMPTOR. Do your due dilligence and educate yourself first.

As a shaper first, and a machine builder, operator, programmer doing all the phases of cnc cad cam and shaping as a one man show I deal with all these aspects myself on a daily basis and know the limitations that one has to over come to get an consistant and accurate product.

Oak is dead right!

IF YOU HAVE TO TWEAK YOUR PROGRAM TO CUT A BOARD FROM A BLANK THAT IS POORLY GLUED UP YOU LOOSE YOUR ASS!

REGARDLESS OF THE SYSTEM YOU USE: KKL, ASP 3000, AKU SHAPER, 3DM, DNS, SHOPBOT YOU NEED BLANKS TO BE PROPERLY GLUED WITH THE CORRECT DECK ROCKER. THERE IS NO NEED TO ARGUE THIS POINT. THE SELLS PITCHES ARE GETTING OLD LET’S JUST DO IT RIGHT PERIOD!

Quote:

Jimmy

Aku Shaper

some of the claims of some machine salespeople are not accurate. for some of the uninitiated that are looking to posssibly purchase most are too eager to believe the bs. and are soon separated with their hard earned monies, soon dissapointed once they have seen the limitations of hyped system. all I can say is CAVEAT EMPTOR. Do your due dilligence and educate yourself first.

As a shaper first, and a machine builder, operator, programmer doing all the phases of cnc cad cam and shaping as a one man show I deal with all these aspects myself on a daily basis and know the limitations that one has to over come to get an consistant and accurate product.