Magic Man......Blank???????

I want to shape a 6 foot fish and I don’t think the 6-2 C has the right rocker or thickness. Can you suggest the proper blank? I’m sure it may be a much longer blank to make the rocker work. Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance… RK

I asked the same question many moons ago:>>> As I posted awhile back, I want to make my own fish. I am in FL and the > only thing around is longboard house, which carries the David Nuiewa (I > have no idea how to spell that) fish. They are sweet, and probably done by > you, but too expensive for me, and the salesmen there are wack. Everytime > I go in there I feel like I am stereotypical used car lot.>>> Anyway my question is, Is a 6’2"C a viable blank to get to make a 6’ > fish? I was thinking of cutting the length off the nose and adjusting from > there. Or would something like a 7’3" eaton blank (the funboard/egg > blank) be better. That way I can cut the nose and tail off for a flat > bottom? I’m leaning toward the oversized blank, but I’m not sure. If you > could suggest anything, I would be very stoaked. Thanks. Mr. Mike d, I’ll give you a hint. The biggest mistake that you or any of the pros can make, trying to make a fish(the way I can get them), is to use a blank that is close to the length of the fish that you want to end up with. The name brand fish that I have seen filter up this way, are clearly shaped out of a blank that was designed for something completely different(kneeboard, or squeek out of a thruster something). I spend the extra money (I pass it on to price of the board, partly why my fish cost so much), so that I can comfortably get the width in the tail and the correlating thickness’s to give me the foil I’m looking for from the entry through the wide point. Look for that! Clark Foam doesn’t have a blank in the short size range that I can use for my designs that satisfy all of the requirements of my needs. Are you trying to make a fish like mine? Or Stu’s? Or Herb’s? Or Clyde’s? Or Skip’s Or the Lis type (which has it’s background as a kneeboard)or other? Caliper something that you see that you like, and take your measurements with you to where your getting your blank, and discover either one of mine in side it,(by measuring it) or one of the other gentelmen shaper’s fish in there. In the 70’s, when we shaped a Dyno, the owner was a hard core businessman, he would not pay for Clark foam. We used Rogers foam, a smaller company in Santa Ana for all of the Corky Carrol models, the David Nuuhiwa models, and everything else that we could sell at the time. Rogers foam is long gone, and I still shape my fish out of a Clark blank that is gone long. The Clark blank that I use, I still consider a trade secret, and I don’t order them under my name. The front portion of this response should get you started. Good Luck!

Nuf said - do your homework

I want to shape a 6 foot fish and I don’t think the 6-2 C has the right > rocker or thickness. Can you suggest the proper blank? I’m sure it may be > a much longer blank to make the rocker work. Any input would be > appreciated!! Thanks in advance…>>> RK ah, the $20,000 (give or take a little) question…

I want to shape a 6 foot fish and I don’t think the 6-2 C has the right > rocker or thickness. Can you suggest the proper blank? I’m sure it may be > a much longer blank to make the rocker work. Any input would be > appreciated!! Thanks in advance…>>> RK I just purchased a 7’11"R that I plan to make either one of two designs, a 6ft. fish or a 7’0" egg. If I make the fish, it will be more than flat enough and I’ll be able to make nose and tail adjustments as needed. If I make the egg, I plan on just placing the template more forward or back, so the rocker will suit the curve Im lookin for. I made a 6’4" thruster fish a while back out of a longer shortboard blank (it was around 7’4") that rides great. One concern I had was to find a blank that was close to the thickness I was looking for.

MagicMan, hows about approaching Clark with a fish blank idea? I know they wouldn’t listen to me(maybe rip me),but between you and say Clyde?Herb

Not trying to throw any negative vibes, but I thought the whole idea behind Sway’s was to share information. All RK wanted was a suggestion as to what blank to use to fillet a fish out of. Broms fishes look awesome and I am sure the no-longer-in-production blank plays a vital role, but, what do the minds that know recommend for this guy to do his board now, out of current production stock? Like I said, nothing negative intended, but I am sure there are other D.A’s out here besides me who really value the information so graciously shared by you REAL shapers out there. thanks ed

hey ed, i’d tell rk to take a good look at the clark 7_3 phil becker. see link posted below:>>> Not trying to throw any negative vibes, but I thought the whole idea > behind Sway’s was to share information. All RK wanted was a suggestion as > to what blank to use to fillet a fish out of. Broms fishes look awesome > and I am sure the no-longer-in-production blank plays a vital role, but, > what do the minds that know recommend for this guy to do his board now, > out of current production stock? Like I said, nothing negative intended, > but I am sure there are other D.A’s out here besides me who really value > the information so graciously shared by you REAL shapers out there.>>> thanks ed http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/pics/blanks/73.gif

by the way, for newcomers who are not yet familiar with the entire swaylock site, the archives are loaded with all kinds of information that has been graciously shared by both the resident pros, whose shapes number in the thousands, and the home/garage board makers.this question and tons of others have been entertained on numerous occasions. you would be doing yourself a dis-service by not taking advantage of the archived stuff. http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/pics/blanks/73.gif

Yes the 7-3 is a good blank for your fish. There is a convex bottom on it that must be removed as fishies like flat. The 7-9 is a favorite of mine. These blanks may or may not be the “guarded secret blank” that Magic Man uses. There is a lot more to a good fish than the proper blank. Unless you were shaping in the early 70’s, It will feel really wierd to shape these boards as the design criteria is so much diffrent than what you’re used to. Fin placement and template is CRITICAL and you still have to play with the rocker no matter what blank you use. Good luck and have fun!! aloha, tom

Yeppers, the 7’3" is what I would use for a fish. I think I would add a little nose rocker to it. Good luck, Scott W.