making gloss resin *PIC*

Is there a way to make gloss resin from UV laminating resin? Is gloss resin simply lam resin with surface agent and styrene added? What is the method of doing this, and does it work as well as the premixed I can buy? I live far from any fiberglass shops, and am looking for ways to get the most out of the UV resin I will buy. Thanks a bunch for any help- gill

Gill: My choices are limited as well, most of my supplies I have to have shipped to me as well. I use SunCure UV powder and mix my own laminating resin, hotcoat or surfacing resin and gloss as well using the same lam resin as a base. I pour out of a 5 gallon pail of resin into a fresh metal paint can with a metal lid that has a plastic pull up spout with a screw top. I mix the UV batch up 1 gallon at a time and the metal can is light tight and easy to shake/mix and pour from. My preference is to take advantage of the UV cure lam resin to bypass the temperature extremes in the climate and to have the freedom to work witht the laminations as long as I need to. I use UV catalyzed resin for my hot coat and glossing resin but I catalyze it as normal to avoid runs or blowing debris getting into the finish if I were to carry it outside. Hotcoat is the lamination mix plus 2% wax solution and 2% catalyst. What I’ve been using for glossing resin is the same base lam resin with 2% wax, 2-5% styrene (depends on how fresh my resin is) and 2% catalyst. Always test the ratios for your conditions, mine may not work for you. No, it’s not as good as a high grade of glossing resin but it can be polished out to a high gloss. It’s not the showroom quality mirror finish I’m sure. Hope that helps, good luck. Tom Sterne>>> Is there a way to make gloss resin from UV laminating resin? Is gloss > resin simply lam resin with surface agent and styrene added? What is the > method of doing this, and does it work as well as the premixed I can buy? > I live far from any fiberglass shops, and am looking for ways to get the > most out of the UV resin I will buy. Thanks a bunch for any help- gill

what does the styrene do to the resin? thin it? to get a high gloss must the whole sanding process be done with wet sanding? new to the gloss scene…thanks…

what does the styrene do to the resin? thin it? to get a high gloss must > the whole sanding process be done with wet sanding? new to the gloss > scene…thanks… Hey Teddy this gloss-polishing thing opens a whole new can of worms.In a nutshell here it is.Yep styrene thins resin but if the resin is fresh you don’t need it.Glossing is just like hot coating just a differnt resin. The pro polishers use wet sand paper without water but try this… wet sand from 220 to 320 to 400 to 600 and polish with a wool bonnet with “Surluster” surfboard rubbing compound.Really good polishing is almost a damn art and if you are building a board for yourself its a waste of time.

Supergloss Sun Cure is available. I just noticed it in my new catalog. I don’t use gloss resin so I wasn’t really looking for it. Here are the prices: 1qt.- $9.50 • 1 gal. - $28.50 • 5 gal.- $106.95 Description from catalog: “Mixed and ready to go. No more waiting. SC Ultra Gloss resin does not have that redish tint so your coats cure brighter and harder.” I don’t think it is on their site yet, but it is available. Surfsource 888-647-6991. I have no affiliation with this company at all, just thought you guys might be interested in it.

Polyester resin or epoxy resin? I m quite interested the latter. Regards, Crabie http://www.sunriseprinting.com.hk/fins/fins.html

No this is poly resin. I guess they have not figured out the UV epoxy combo. They do make a 1 oz. tube of epoxy UV, for ding repair. It too is available at surfsource.net (it is not on the site yet) - $2.50 U.S. for the tube. But there is nothing yet available as far as Epoxy UV resin, that you could use for lamination or a sanding layer. There was a thread about this a little while ago, but it was mixed in another topic. Long story short some guys called surfsource about UV epoxy resin and they are working on it but have not come up with anything that is affordable and/or works as well as the poly suncure mixture. http://www.surfsource.net/

I tried some of the new super gloss and was not that impressed. Sanding it with the power sander was a pain and it just doesn’t get as hard as normal gloss resin. BTW, gloss resin is not the same as laminating/sanding resin, it is a different formulation that cures harder than laminating/sanding resin.>>> No this is poly resin. I guess they have not figured out the UV epoxy > combo. They do make a 1 oz. tube of epoxy UV, for ding repair. It too is > available at surfsource.net (it is not on the site yet) - $2.50 U.S. for > the tube. But there is nothing yet available as far as Epoxy UV resin, > that you could use for lamination or a sanding layer.>>> There was a thread about this a little while ago, but it was mixed in > another topic. Long story short some guys called surfsource about UV epoxy > resin and they are working on it but have not come up with anything that > is affordable and/or works as well as the poly suncure mixture.