Manufacturers Poll: How many seal their sand only glass jobs?

I appreciate what Huie is saying, and the choice can be doing a sanded gloss versus a sanded hot coat only. To be honest, the hot coats that Hawk (Haakenson) does actually look like some people’s glosses.

They are ridiculously good compared to many people’s work.

The Channel Islands he does each week for Burton are sanded to 320 grit. The boards go thru a QC inspection before being released. If there are any lows, glass fiber (rare) or whatnot, they are filled with UV resin and blocked out to the surface.  Same deal for my boards.

I was told by some one, that any grime on boards, that C.I. cleans them sparingly with acetone.

I do agree with the statement about porosity (pores) existing in sanded hotcoats, they do not want a sealer.

Mollusk and other accounts have never complained about the boards getting grimy.

When I was doing all my own glassing, I regularly finished them with acrylic both by spraying or swiping on a sealer then using a super soft pad that had scotch birte attached to it. The slow speed needed so as not to blow up the pad with a once over and the boards looked better (esp. darker colors) and felt ‘slippery’.

No appreciable weight gain even when placed on my scale… if I triple coated a real dark board, maybe an oz or two, if that.

The sealer is high grade, UV stabilized, flexible, durable, non yellowing.

But doing this stage is yet another part of production, no matter how little time it takes, as is glossing a sand coat then sanding that gloss coat.

Here’s some pic for the hell of it.

P.S. Actually the spray was so even, I debated whether to even scotch brite it or not.

haaa’‘’ reverb as long as we dont get cofused about what we type on a p c this is a good discusion to have

i am from the old school and shall remain  from the old school            

this sanded finish started with my guys late 60s and i built all my personell boards  that way with a textured deck of foam dust and wet sanded

but the glass jobs would have been 1 layer 10oz fairly light for there day.

but when its a customer private or shop i feel its a duty to give the best  not what has come to be industry std

question when you first put sander to hot coat   what grit is on the pad

cheers huie

…hello Huie, not overshaped boards with 4oz and only hot coat then speed finish to seal; pretty “solid” HPSB. For the other boards, a gloss/speed finish combo is what I use.

The longer boards are almost all with gloss.

-Slightly start with 100 only to get rid of brush debris and let the path clean for the next grit. Coarser grit between glass ons; then finner grits

reverb dont take what i am saying means you’’      but i will put it this way

over many yrs i have felt that once the hot coat had been cut with a course abrassive that coat of resin had pourus nature

example if i sanded whith 100 and no mater how fine it does not seal to prove this just take one and spray it  with a light white coat of primer

the last 12 yrs  i have been free to experiment everything surfboard’’ thanks to a few wonderfull sponsers i have been able to do whatever i wanted ‘’

to shape a nice shape then go do some weird shit on it to run over it with a car .     or throw it on the rocks

its not that i am better or know everything? its simply that i have had the time to do these things

and now i am at a stage where i know that a lot of what i have done is either bullshit or not required

the vacum bag is now an essential part of a good surfboard maker’’ but it is just another tool

one way or another that sanded coat needs protection i cant see how any of the sealers out there can compete against

a coat of gloss that gets rubbed out and or scothbrighted   timewise or even cost wise and the flexi of the material is irelavent

as the gloss done right  leaves a very thin coat and very little weight.  but to each his own’’

cheers huie

…the only prove that I have to tell you is what I said in the other comment about comparing all the other HPSB that have another resin coat sanded…few years later and are more tanned and heavier; also are heavier when fresh.

This speed finish is not the same used by …LOST or those other brands like seems that are using in California, that with few months peel off.

Also this spray is way more expensive that resin so no cost wise here, I put this crap due to results in weight and in my opinion, sealing, among cleaner board forever, no greasy or whatever stain. Came to use on the Mercedes Benz…I know those type of plastics are different (ABS, etc) but I have been using it from a long time on the resin and I do not see brownish spots on the clear boards or weight increments (if the board have no ding repairs)

So seems that fill those micro porous right.

-by the way, my sanding technique is not rough, I do not have deep wheel marks or like that, it s not like sanding for a gloss coat, its very slight sanding.

Anyway, I m not trying to impose my way over yours, I only continue applying this spray due comparison of the boards, mine and from other brands

thanks

resin seal boards last way longer. come off the container from china with a resin finish.

resin seal boards last way longer. come off the container from china with a resin finish.

…couple hours ago I was sanding a HPSB and laughing thinking of you…

I do not take too many photos but I have these:

Clear is with speed finish, the other is gloss/speed finish combo

thats some sexy bling there reverb. very nice

very good i like

heres what i am glassing to night balsa work by kayu

pm me that speed finish i would like to try it

cheers  huie

very good i like

heres what i am glassing to night balsa work by kayu

pm me that speed finish i would like to try it

cheers  huie

…thanks Paul Cannon and Huie.

So Is that epoxy over?

Sadly that dent.

Next month I ll do a chambered Balsa (I imported the Balsa planks from Ecuador) longboard but I ll use poly due to here the epoxy do not have UV protection, also there are no surfboard oriented ones like Loehr s

hi huie. i would conceal that dent with a hand painted black graphic. perhaps a caligraphy or somethin. very nice work fellas. i got myself a bandsaw finally and a dropy. so hope to do some compsandwich stuff this summer

haaaa’’ never put a pic up with a fault  reverb will be on it haaaa’’

belive me the pic makes it stand out     think it will be fine when finished

funny thing no one has noticed something far different and t o  my knowledge has not been done before or at least not that i know off

cheers huie

…yes, I noticed the swirled pinline; what I do not see if was done as always or is a filled “channel”

looking good, but I prefer another color combo.

…just see, well my first impression was that looked kind of a “batten” then a pinline on top

back to the original question, my shaper doesn’t because he says he can’t stand the smell