Milwaukee AP12e sander polisher

Again, happy to be of some small help. Plus, I’m laid up with a torn up knee so I have the time to bore the hell out of innocent victims like you, between rehab stretches and so on. 

Sorry about that. 

Now, a goodie for you: several comments back I linked to a Makita manual - well, that’s a secret weapon, that manualslib site, User manuals, owner manuals and in some instances shop manuals, searchable, indexed pretty well. Tools, motorcycles, engines large and small, if you’re researching something or looking to fix something you have. You can usually download a PDF. 

It’s a handy thing

doc…

Probably brushes or a bad electrical connection.  I wouldn’t use it until I had that fixed.  Otherwise it may go down completely in the middle of sanding.

Pass on that used Makita.

And if you are good at it;  The best money $$$ in the biz.

Just go with the Chinese equivalent of the Habor Freight.  Over here(USA) we can buy an extended warranty for pennies on the dollar at the counter of Habor Freight when we check out.  Probably not worth it for you because of shipping.

1 Like

The variable speed Makita is a good quality tool.  Thumb speed dial and soft start.  But that used Makita you posted the pic of is probably worn out.  Someone else’s headache will be yours if you buy it.  Buy new.  Not used

Hi Sheffy; is not a direct suggestion is just that you mentioned the tool and I use that tool so a bit of feedback.

I think like others here, depends on what you will do with the tool.

Makita is a great tool; but are not on the cheap side.

Regarding the worn out of these tools. What could be happened? The parts that could be in the need of change are:

-Trigger (points)

-One of the bearings (2 main bearings there are)

-Helicoidal pinion.

If you will sand only a few boards; that tool is sell for cheap and you can hear the sound before to buy there will be no problem. No matter if looks beaten up outside.

However if you find a cheap variable speed Chinese polisher (but are all M14 like the new Makitas) may be is that the way to go. No good weight there though.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

I sold the Milwaukee today for a profit and will look to buy a cheap chinese sander polisher. In fact, it’s paid for itself - essentially free.

Just lammed the deck of board #2 (somewhat poorly but functional). UV resin saved my ass. Note to self: Next time do a cutlap.

Knocked back the lap with a block and 60 grit. Nearly ready for the hotcoat.